article, should fireplaces be banned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to disregard stuff like this coming from California until they re-enter our solar system.

My son lives in San Francisco. He assures me that California is not going to come back. LOL

I agree regarding open fireplaces. Inserts and stoves are fine.

Souzafone can disregard me as I am from California and have not re-entered the solar system :roll:

A relatively minor mis-fact in this article states that particulate matter such as volcanic eruptions reduce global warming. In fact it isn't the particulate matter but SO2 that causes climate cooling from volcanic eruptions and only a small percentage of eruptions produce any real meaningful quantities of SO2. One such eruption was Mt. Pinatubo. The effects of that eruption were felt worldwide. While it ejected roughly 10 billion metric tons of magma, more importantly it produced about 20 million tons of SO2. It injected large amounts of aerosols into the stratosphere—more than any eruption since that of Krakatoa in 1883. Over the following months, the aerosols formed a global layer of sulfuric acid haze, in response global temperatures dropped by about 0.5 °C (0.9 °F), and ozone destruction increased substantially.

I think I will ask that ALL open flame be banned. There is no need for fire and this is something I will mention to Al Gore the next time I run into him.

Thats why little groups of all knowing busy bodies with the name of $%%$$# ( fill in the blank here) CONTROL BOARD OR DISTRICT need to just go away. Just what the world needs is another group of self appointed guardians of all things on top of the other layers of government to tell everyone what to do. Take the red pill or the blue but whatever you do avoid making decisions about your life so that some concerned busybody can do it for you. This sort of crap reminds me of having to file my first report with the ugly old hag of a teacher I had for 1st Grade to leave the chair. Is a #1 or a #2, keep track and remember someone is always watching and the clock is ticking. Nosey busybodies in need of something practical to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.