Ash and Cherry...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are 25x11x9 Tires that say Dixie Chopper on them. But look like a Maxxis tread design.

Here are the pics of the chain raising and lowering system. Its one actuator that raises and lowers the deck. Its connected to the front shaft, thats connected to all the chains. Works well.. Just pull 1 pin to adjust the deck height and flip switch to lower to cutting height.

I need to Fab a Striper kit for it. If you look at Dixie Choppers kit, (on there website) its nothing but a bunch of chains that drag the grass behind the unit. Im not paying $400 for chains that I can buy for $50....

The mower also has 2 blades per jackshaft (6 blades under deck) there is a "X" blade (thats what the top blade is called) and the bottom blade is called the "Twist" blade. They form a pretty tight X underneath. Cuts like a dream.

As for the Vib roller, my neighbor next door is a couple hundred yards away. The house to my other side is vacant. Across the street is a Corn field, so no worries on pissin anybody off ;) Definitely needs rolled by something big and heavy.

Attachments

• deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 151
  • deck2.jpg
    deck2.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 152
  • deck3.jpg
    deck3.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 134
  • deck4.jpg
    deck4.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 127
Dexter, that is large enough you should make it into a hay field! ;)

Reactions: MasterMech
DexterDay,
I have one acre with no trees to cut on it, a 15 year old pickup, a 16 year old chainsaw, couple of mauls, sledge and wedges. I'm jealous, but thankful for what I do have. Very nice photos!

DexterDay,
I have one acre with no trees to cut on it, a 15 year old pickup, a 16 year old chainsaw, couple of mauls, sledge and wedges. I'm jealous, but thankful for what I do have. Very nice photos!

Thats the attitude I carry daily... Thankful everyday for my Job, Family, and Friends.

BackWoodsSav- I would turn it into a Hay field, but I take to much pride in my Yard. Lots of work. But I enjoy it... The lawn mower just gained me a lot of tiime. About a 3 hr reduction in time.

They are 25x11x9 Tires that say Dixie Chopper on them. But look like a Maxxis tread design.

Here are the pics of the chain raising and lowering system. Its one actuator that raises and lowers the deck. Its connected to the front shaft, thats connected to all the chains. Works well.. Just pull 1 pin to adjust the deck height and flip switch to lower to cutting height.

I need to Fab a Striper kit for it. If you look at Dixie Choppers kit, (on there website) its nothing but a bunch of chains that drag the grass behind the unit. Im not paying $400 for chains that I can buy for $50....

The mower also has 2 blades per jackshaft (6 blades under deck) there is a "X" blade (thats what the top blade is called) and the bottom blade is called the "Twist" blade. They form a pretty tight X underneath. Cuts like a dream.

As for the Vib roller, my neighbor next door is a couple hundred yards away. The house to my other side is vacant. Across the street is a Corn field, so no worries on pissin anybody off ;) Definitely needs rolled by something big and heavy.

Holy mechanism Batman! That's a different way to raise/lower the deck.

I would think the chains would pull grass and/or collect lots of debris. We used to sell a striper kit for Exmark that cost less than $400 for sure and it was a full width roller on bearings! I've seen other stripers that look like a broom or the rock skirt from an RV.

2 blades per spindle? Interesting. Only a few designs that did that. Snapper Ninja was one, and Deere's Piranha deck come to mind.

If your neighbor doesn't feel the vibes from the roller you need a bigger roller. ;)

Pretty neat that you caught the wood nice and solid- looking. A good bit of the cherry or ash we find is punky 'cause it sat dead a bit too long or it stayed vertical dead too long before falling over. Makes your effort/work more worthwhile if it's all solid, eh?

Pretty neat that you caught the wood nice and solid- looking. A good bit of the cherry or ash we find is punky 'cause it sat dead a bit too long or it stayed vertical dead too long before falling over. Makes your effort/work more worthwhile if it's all solid, eh?
The Cherry has a bit of punk on the outside (1/4") and the Ash got a lil bit on the tops. Most of the lower Ash is Pretty solid.

My buddies Father marked a bunch of trees for me. Close to 40 just on the edge of the fields. A lot are pretty small (8"-12" in diameter) but for Free Ash thats less than 2 miles down the road.... I will take it. Even if some of it is Punky. Though most are pretty solid so far, I know I am bound to get some bad ones. Some have died recently. Others are going on there 3rd Summer still standing (dead).

I have another Dead Elm next to my house that I have to get. But putting that one off as long as possible ;) Last year I took a big one right next to it.... What a stringy mess! !!

Status
Not open for further replies.