Ash, Ash, and more Ash.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I have been cutting ash like mad lately. I was given a downed tree which should add up to almost 3 cords of wood.

I have never burnt ash before. Can anybody give me some insight on the burning characteristics of this stuff? I will be using the woodstock Ideal Steel hybrid when it shows up in the fall.
20140509_172858.jpg20140412_160731.jpg20140409_214947.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great wood. Not quite as long-burning as Oak, but given how quickly it dries, close enough for me. >> Looks like it wasn't dead for many years, so may still be in the upper 20s moisture content. Best bet to have it dry by fall would be to stack in the wind single-row, and not split any bigger than 'medium.' Like 4" on a side....splits in the last pic look close to that.

It burns good. Don't put out as much heat as oak or locust but pretty close and dries fast. It Should be dry for this winter. I've burnt white ash 3 out of the last four years. The other year I burnt white oak and didn't notice a big difference.

Ash is a lovely everyday firewood. As noted above, it's not the perfect overnight, deep-of-winter fuel but live trees have a low moisture content to begin with so it dries faster than other species of similar density. It's usually easy to split, and burns with a bright yellow flame that throws a lot of light into the room along with the heat. I wish I could get oodles of it, but the trees are mostly gone from my area already.

I have a lot of ash around me. I love it and grab all I can. Easy to split, seasons pretty quick like already said

Thanks for all the info guys! I just wanted to make sure I'm not wasting my time. Would it last pretty long in a cat stove on a lower burn? Can anybody tell what kind of ash this is?

wanted to make sure I'm not wasting my time. Would it last pretty long in a cat stove on a lower burn? Can anybody tell what kind of ash this is?
It'll last plenty long in any stove, compared to medium and lesser BTU woods. I put it in the same league with Red Oak. It's never a waste of time to get great wood that's easy to process! :) That is White Ash, 100%. :cool:

I just wanted to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

On the contrary, if you're tight on drying time and/or storage space, it would be difficult to do any better than white ash.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Woohoo! I was hoping :). So this is the stuff they make bats out of right?

Reactions: woodsmaster
Ash has similar characteristics as maple. Dries relatively quick and burns well

Woohoo! I was hoping :). So this is the stuff they make bats out of right?

Yup. Get it split and stacked asap and you should have some nice hardwood for winter burning.

So this is the stuff they make bats out of right?
Yep. I'm no bat guru but why make them out of something that splits so easily? ;lol I guess it must have something to do with its flex characteristics...Hickory would probably be too harsh, like mishitting blade golf irons. <>

If you can dry it out, there is a lot to be said for leaving the splits large as it does burn quick. Its a trade off, split it small and drys faster, leave it large and let it dry longer and it burns a bit longer. Still good wood and with a Fiskars it would be hard to justify a gas splitter.

I wish I had some ash. It's about the only thing missing on my property. I've found one 40+ tree on our 100 acres

What I am curious about is how will ash burn in a catalytic stove? will it burn 10 + hours? The Ideal Steel has a 3.2 cf firebox.

3 decent splits in my Jotul insert 3ish cf on a good coal bed @ 11PM will be a decent coal bed @7AM

What I am curious about is how will ash burn in a catalytic stove? will it burn 10 + hours? The Ideal Steel has a 3.2 cf firebox.
Oh, hell yeah! ==c

Reactions: JA600L
It is good wood, I do not get much of it. Like others say dries faster than Oak.

I just scored 3 dead and fallen white ash trees. Don't know how long they were down but it is at 21% after bucking and splitting on a fresh split. Going to burn it this year! There are 3 more dead and standing that are coming down at the end of the month.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
I've got 3 24" ash trees leaning towards my house that were 75% dead last year, and it looks like they're completely dead now. I was just talking to my brother yesterday on how to take them down, maybe using his winch to tug them sideways a little while dropping them. But with those 3 and about 10 smaller ash trees dead on my property, I've got enough wood to last me several years. It's a shame that they are all of my large trees though, it's making my woods look a little bare!

Ash ought to be a "standard". Unless it's an ugly piece, it'll split fairly easy, and the weight won't break your back or truck. It also lights easy which is a big plus. It'll even provide its own kindling. I was able to easily peel enough stringy stuff off a few splits to get them going last winter. That was a big bonus.

If I was restricted to buying just one species of wood it would be white ash . . . it is the all around good, go to wood . . . not the best at anything (burn time, BTUs, splitting, seasoning time, etc.) . . .but it's right up there with the "leaders."

I like ash... it's not my go-to wood, but is plenty serviceable. I've dropped 3 on my property this spring, a 12 a 16 and a 20... much, MUCH lighter than the 2' white and red oaks I've got piled up waiting for the saw and splitter...

If I was restricted to buying just one species of wood it would be white ash . . . it is the all around good, go to wood . . . not the best at anything (burn time, BTUs, splitting, seasoning time, etc.) . . .but it's right up there with the "leaders."

mine would be black locust... but what is this "buying wood" you speak of?

Reactions: muncybob and JA600L
I just scored 3 dead and fallen white ash trees. Don't know how long they were down but it is at 21% after bucking and splitting on a fresh split. Going to burn it this year! There are 3 more dead and standing that are coming down at the end of the month.
That's another great thing about White Ash; Down wood will hold up pretty well, especially if the trunk is held off the ground. I got one a couple years back that was down, but a bend in the trunk held most of it up off the ground. No bark left. Had to have been there a long time, but was still in good shape and about as dry as yours. Those standers may or may not be that dry...

Status
Not open for further replies.