Ash Borer Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rideau said:
Read an article this past year about the EAB in Massachusetts...it is hitting the maples hard...silver and suger. Supposedly likes the silver maple more than ash??? Article claimed that by the time it was realized the maple was being hit, hundreds oof thousands were involved, and that there is speculation we may eventually lose the sugar maple in the NE US and Canada....unbelievable calamity in under a century..chestnut, elm, ash, pine, now maple??? We do have quite a few elm that have survived Dutch Elm in Southern Ontario.
the sad thing is this...we have sat back and let all of these invasive insects (too numerous to mention) infest and we are doing nothing REAL about it. I find it hard to believe that modern science can clone animals but cannot solve an insect problem. Too many fat cats pulling the strings........

rideau said:
Read an article this past year about the EAB in Massachusetts...it is hitting the maples hard...silver and suger. Supposedly likes the silver maple more than ash??? Article claimed that by the time it was realized the maple was being hit, hundreds oof thousands were involved, and that there is speculation we may eventually lose the sugar maple in the NE US and Canada....unbelievable calamity in under a century..chestnut, elm, ash, pine, now maple??? We do have quite a few elm that have survived Dutch Elm in Southern Ontario.

Do you have a link to that story? Since the EAB struck Michigan, I haven't heard a peep about it attacking any other trees. I did a quick Google search and every reputable source I could find says it does not attack anything but ash. I know the ALB (Asian Longhorn Beetle) prefers maple. Perhaps that is what you read?

Thanks!

There's an invasive borer for every tree out there. Maples are being hammered by a borer specific to the species, I am unaware of the EAB invading anything but the ash. With temps on the rise here in the NE, and all the bugs and what-not, you are going to see quite a few species die off in the next 100 years. We need to do something and we need to do it now....

We were at a state park last summer, and saw some beech trees dying. Apparently another invader imported from Ontario on campfire wood by some idiot. Gee, thanks.

Yup. That is Beech Bark Disease. It's spreading from both the eastern UP and the Ludington area. About 80% of the beech trees in Michigan won't be around much longer. It has already devasted the northeast of the US over the last several decades.

Jeff, I've been told all the beech on the west side of the lp are all dead and most are dead or dying in the up too. We have some really young trees and I hope the bugs don't get to them.

Why is it always the good stuff? Why not cottonwood?

Waulie, you're probably right, it probably is the ALB. Both the darn things are around. I didn't even know about the Beech Bark Disease. Now I'm relly depressed. Myproperty is a climax Heritage designated woodlot, neech and sugar maple the predominant species, with Ash, cherry, hickory, oak, ironwood , cedar and pine ar the fringes, with one Tuliptree! (thank you bird) and one basswood, a few old apples. There is one elm left by the road. My hickory has some kind if a growth around the branches, new the last few years and spreading. See that my county has been disignated as a restricted area becase of the asj borer...would have been nice if we'd been informed. If I lose ny Beech and Maple I lose my woods, and I have all kinds of rare plants amd mushrooms on it. Spring you can't walk in the woods without stepping on Gepatica, trillum, dog tooth violet, violets, phkox, spring beauty, merrybells, dutchman;s breeaches, jack in the pulpi...you get the ides. Then the trees leaf out and mu entire woods are carpeted with grass all summer and fall. A rare site. We'll lose all that is we lose the beech and maple. Have to figure out wgat is going on with the hickory and check my ash....have a woodlot management expert coming in a few wekks, so we'll go over things. Here I was rejoicing that we have BALD EAGLES! Never thought I'd live to see them in the wild. Now we're going to lose their habitat.

Rideau, I feel for you. I almost cry sometimes when walking through our woods. It just is not the same with all those trees gone. We needed to do some thinning but this is ridiculous. Hey, it is nice to see the eagles. We had one land in our yard a couple years ago and saw him coming in. That was sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.