ash borer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm sure they are working on some sort of biological control, but if they move too fast, there could be major unintended consequences.

It seems to me that once the ash trees are gone from an area, the insect would disappear too. I'd think they'd then be able to reintroduce the trees after a certain period of time as the insect moves farther away with the food source. But I'm not an expert on such things.

Here's what they've been able to do with purple loosestrife..

All of the bigger ash are dying at my place, but the smaller trees still look unaffected. Maybe they’ll survive long enough for the borer to die off.

That could be, or they might change their odor once they reach a certain age/size.

A close friend owns a tree company in West Central Ohio. Most of the ash are gone now and he said he's seeing them in Maple now.

A close friend owns a tree company in West Central Ohio. Most of the ash are gone now and he said he's seeing them in Maple now.
Oh, yuck.