1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ash Bucket..........

Post in 'The Gear' started by WoodMann, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hansson

Hansson Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sweden,Leksand
    it`s a cyclone inside the container.and a fine steal net so no coal reach the vacuum cleaner filter.
    I have bulid it like this one.It works really fine
    http://www.swd.se/pellets/sug03.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sapratt

sapratt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwestern, Oh
    I guess I'm the bad one I use a plastic 5 gal bucket. But I also make sure everything is out and there are no hot or warm coals
    before I clean out the fire box.
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
  4. potter

potter Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western NY
    I take my ashpan outside and dump it in a metal bucket- then carry this to two galv. trash cans by my workshop. I also use these for the ash from my wood kiln. I fill one with hot ashes, while other sits cooling (over weeks). When "hot" one gets full I can empty the "cool" one and start the cycle again. I think I might have picked this up here....
  5. eba1225

eba1225 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Chester Springs, Pa
    I also use a Galvanized metal pail and yes the ashed go directly outside after emptied.
  6. edthedawg

edthedawg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast, CT
    Lowes sells a nice small galvy bucket w/ handle and lid for under $20 - that's what I use. Similar sized ash can w/ lid was >$40 at Aubuchon's. Home Despot only sells a small 1 gal "water pail" which filled up too quickly, had too narrow a diameter for the ash pan, and doesn't have a lid.

I carefully scoop ashes and pour into the bucket under the lid, which i close quickly. then the can goes outside right away and will sit in the cold / rain for a few days, and then gets dumped into a growing pile out by the barn. i plan to get a bigger galvy can to store them for use in the winter...
  7. WoodMann

WoodMann Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Mexico
    Cool- thanks guys- I can't wait for my can to get here. Now if we could just get a good cold snap and a few feet of snow, then I'de be a happy cat............................
  8. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    Thanks Eileen, now those pails "have the right aesthetics" to quote an earlier stated requirement for ash pails. Bet one could get away with leaving one of those on the front stoop, or front porch.
  9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    only if you want to get it stolen! (said the fox that could not reach the "sour" grapes)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.