Ash Bucket..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm the bad one I use a plastic 5 gal bucket. But I also make sure everything is out and there are no hot or warm coals
before I clean out the fire box.

I take my ashpan outside and dump it in a metal bucket- then carry this to two galv. trash cans by my workshop. I also use these for the ash from my wood kiln. I fill one with hot ashes, while other sits cooling (over weeks). When "hot" one gets full I can empty the "cool" one and start the cycle again. I think I might have picked this up here....

Lowes sells a nice small galvy bucket w/ handle and lid for under $20 - that's what I use. Similar sized ash can w/ lid was >$40 at Aubuchon's. Home Despot only sells a small 1 gal "water pail" which filled up too quickly, had too narrow a diameter for the ash pan, and doesn't have a lid.

I carefully scoop ashes and pour into the bucket under the lid, which i close quickly. then the can goes outside right away and will sit in the cold / rain for a few days, and then gets dumped into a growing pile out by the barn. i plan to get a bigger galvy can to store them for use in the winter...

Cool- thanks guys- I can't wait for my can to get here. Now if we could just get a good cold snap and a few feet of snow, then I'de be a happy cat............................

Thanks Eileen, now those pails "have the right aesthetics" to quote an earlier stated requirement for ash pails. Bet one could get away with leaving one of those on the front stoop, or front porch.

Jerry_NJ said:
Bet one could get away with leaving one of those on the front stoop, or front porch.
only if you want to get it stolen! (said the fox that could not reach the "sour" grapes)

Status
Not open for further replies.