Ash build up in fire chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizz75

Nov 8, 2016
Connecticut
After 2-3 bags in my Enviro ef IIIi stove I have ash building up inside the chamber, for some reason it's not falling through the grate. Stove is about 14-15 years old, just put a new exhaust fan housing and damper in. Hoping someone can help save me an outrageous charge!

My ef 3 is the same but not until 5-6 bags do you see it
Most goes to ash pan but not all . That's why you clean
and vac. stove once a week .

Pictures of the grate would help. But really hard carbon like stuff will build up on grates and screens, causing the openings to close in ever so slightly. About every ton with my Castle Serenitys I have to take a drill bit the size of the original holes and run it thru the holes again to remove the hard build up.This then allows me to go a long time before the bottom of the fire pot starts to plug up again. The design on the Castle Serenity fire pot however, is such that even some build up does not hamper heat out put much. It just is not as efficient as more of the air coming into the pellets, comes in from the sides rather than from directly underneath the pellets.
But I have no experience with your stove brand. Just assuming I read your post properly

Pictures of the grate would help. But really hard carbon like stuff will build up on grates and screens, causing the openings to close in ever so slightly. About every ton with my Castle Serenitys I have to take a drill bit the size of the original holes and run it thru the holes again to remove the hard build up.This then allows me to go a long time before the bottom of the fire pot starts to plug up again. The design on the Castle Serenity fire pot however, is such that even some build up does not hamper heat out put much. It just is not as efficient as more of the air coming into the pellets, comes in from the sides rather than from directly underneath the pellets.
But I have no experience with your stove brand. Just assuming I read your post properly

He is not talking about the fire pot
In the Enviro there are slots cut in the bottom of the stove allowing ash to fall into the ash drawer
the ash tends to bridge the slots and not fall through seem to be normal for Enviro stoves
It does not effect operation or heat

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
He is not talking about the fire pot
In the Enviro there are slots cut in the bottom of the stove allowing ash to fall into the ash drawer
the ash tends to bridge the slots and not fall through seem to be normal for Enviro stoves
It does not effect operation or heat

Thank you for that.

Phone has been on the fritz and couldn't get on internet. Seems like I need to clean it every 2-3 bags, as it will be almost up to door. Think I might have found the problem though. On the back of the burn pot liner a hole has burned through, cutting down on the air flow where it is needed. Or at least I hope that would cause it. Thoughts?

Picture please
Yes it could effect burn rate lazy flame , build up of ash and
unburnt pellets in pot . But if you are complaining about ash
outside of pot then it is normal for a high ash pellet .
I have to vac my stove every three days and I am using a
low ash pellet (Cubex) It is the best pellet around here
The condition is normal on older Enviro ef3 , ef2 , and ef4
stoves mine is a 2002 unit
If you want more to go to ash pan cut slots bigger so more
can fall through maybe cut the bar between 2 or 3 slots on
each side of burn pot

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here are the pics of the liner. My stove is also 2002, is there anything else that you have replaced? Just wondering what I might be in store for

Looks like you need a burn pot
I have replaced a combustion motor
and that was because there is no where to lub the bearings
tore it apart but in new bearings and now have it as a back up
The stove has performed almost perfectly and I burn 24/7
from late October till the 1st of May 4 to 5 tons of pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.