ash drawer safety

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranberry Creek

Nov 15, 2015
Ponoka AB Canada
Hello, we recently bought a new Drolet HT2000 to replace our 1987 Osburn. We have not installed the stove as yet as we see that the pedestal where the ash drawer sits is open at the back. We are worrying about hot embers or coals escaping out there. Does anyone have a problem with this? We live in Alberta and only have poplar (Aspen or black poplar) or spruce available to burn, so we know there will be lots of ash.
Also we were always able to open the top damper on the Osburn and absolutely no smoke came into the room when reloading. Don't all stoves work that way? Maybe we should reconsider our purchase and buy an Osburn 2300 or 2400.
Thank you for any help you can give me.

The Osburn line and Drolet line come both from SBI. Some Osburns appear to be just fancier versions of their Drolet siblings. You've chosen a good stove. I wouldn't worry too much about the ash. There might be a little spillage but the coals will drop into the bin. The ash hole is more forward and away from the rear edge of the ash pan. It's unlikely embers missing the pan will be a serious issue. This is why you have a full hearth as specified in manual.

Reactions: Cranberry Creek
The Osburn line and Drolet line come both from SBI. Some Osburns appear to be just fancier versions of their Drolet siblings. You've chosen a good stove. I wouldn't worry too much about the ash. There might be a little spillage but the coals will drop into the bin. The ash hole is more forward and away from the rear edge of the ash pan. It's unlikely embers missing the pan will be a serious issue. This is why you have a full hearth as specified in manual.
Thank you for this information.

We finally installed our stove about a month ago, and have been burning it ever since instead of our furnace. We are really enjoying it. We go through about a stacked up wheelbarrow full of wood every day (balm and spruce as that is what grows here.) It is amazing how well it burns up and how little ash remains. The Drolet is a great stove.

New ht2000 owner here. I shovel the ash out instead of using the ash pan. If you burn it down to coals and scrape them foreword, you can then shovel the ashes out pretty easily.

New ht2000 owner here. I shovel the ash out instead of using the ash pan. If you burn it down to coals and scrape them foreword, you can then shovel the ashes out pretty easily.
Actually, that's what we do too. That's easier than using the ash pan. We really liked the ash pan on the Osburn, and so we thought we would need one. That was one of the qualifications we had for choosing a new stove. However, we've found with the Drolet HT2000 that we don't need it as much as we did with the previous one. We haven't had any problem with smoke coming out when opening the door, either.

Same with the T6. The ash drawer makes a good bun warmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.