Ash "dust"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lfunk11

Jan 8, 2010
Morgantown, WV
Is there a good way to limit the ash "dust" that seems to collect on everything. We do our best not to stir the ash up when we add wood or remove the ash, but anything I can do to limit it would be helpful. Would some sort of air purifier help? It has been an issue for my wife cleaning and its been an issue for me with my allergies.

You could try an ash vacuum made to deal with the occaisional ember. Don't do this myself, so can't offer brand etc. You could set up the vac nozzle near where you're working at removing ash, etc.(like the exhaust for woodworking tools) Ash is prettty light and would be drug by the vacuum. Sounds complicated, but if it's bothering you that much....

Don't really have a complete solution. It is a problem for us, too. We have three BlueAir filters scattered about, and I regularly vacuum with our Dyson. We still have some dust. If I forgo the vacuuming or turn off the filters, it is much worse.

I take it that you are talking about ash/dust getting into the room at any time, not just when you are cleaning out the stove, right? If your stove is well sealed, about the only way you'd be getting ash into the room is when you are loading. Anytime I open the front doors on my VC Vigilant I slowly open the door just a crack to get a good draft going so the air (and the ash) are moving up the flue- not out the door.
Then I slowly open it a little more until it is open all the way, if necessary. Sometimes, I can open the door(s) just enough to take care of business without opening all the way. This allows a venturi effect that sucks in the air faster and should prevent smoke and ash from coming out the door. I try to gently poke/rearrange wood already in the stove and slowly and gently lay in new splits to keep from stirring up any ash.

Even with a cold stove if you open the door quickly you're going to suck ash out into the room. Gotta take it slow and easy.

Kenster said:
Anytime I open the front doors on my VC Vigilant I slowly open the door just a crack to get a good draft going so the air (and the ash) are moving up the flue- not out the door.
Then I slowly open it a little more until it is open all the way, if necessary...
Ja, like BWS says... open the door like there is a dangerous animal inside. My wife likes to fling the door open real fast to give the animal a heart attack.

i have zero troubles with ash since i began emptying my stove when it is still slightly warm.
place a 5 gal steel bucket against the stove, scoop ash in, make sure that there is no more than a inch or to gap from the top lip of the bucket. any ash plooms will be sucked up the chimney via the draft.
i use my central vac to clean up the dirt from the wood and any shes that may come out with the poker and scooper.

In over 50 years of wood burning we have had a problem with ash dust exactly one time. That was when I was six years old. I very quickly learned how to empty ashes without making a mess. It is easy!

First thing you do is make the habit of opening the draft full open.
Next, you want a minute or two.
Next, open that door as if there is a dangerous animal inside.
Now it becomes even easier.

When emptying ashes, handle with kid gloves! Make your movements slow; real slow as in slow motion. Do not overload the ash shovel. Sit the shovel GENTLY at the bottom of the ash holder. Now, very GENTLY, slide the ash shovel out from under the ashes. This is much different than sliding the ashes off the shovel!

Job finished; no mess.

Open draft
Push back coals
Pull forward ash
Shovel up ash

Here's the key

Get a wet towel and place over pail
Lift the towel and place shovel in slowly
Lower the towel and lift the shovel slowly to remove the ash
Wait a few seconds and lift the towel and shovel out.

To add to the great comments already made (such as the treating the door as if it's holding back a dangerous animal) be sure to do this w/ some big coals left in the stove. If there are some decent coals left (big enough to easily start the next fire but not enough wood left in them to burst into flames themselves) then you still have a decent draft and most any dust that you do kick up, even being deliberate and slow, will get sucked up the chimney so long as you keep your shovel inside the stove and your bucket tipped in towards the stoves open door.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.