ash good or bad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine goes in my garden and on my lawn. Supposedly it has the sweetening effects of lime.

If you've been burning pallets and it is filled with screws, staples and nails, put it in your driveway! Chuckle, guffaw, snort!!!!

I always tried to leave a couple inch's or so of ash. It always seemed to burn better with some ashes in the firebox. I think that leaving ash insulates the bottom of the fire allowing it to burn just a little bit hotter as this keeps it away from the water. I may be wrong on the reason, but like I said, it seemed to burn hotter and cleaner with the same supply of wood.

sdrobertson said:
I always tried to leave a couple inch's or so of ash. It always seemed to burn better with some ashes in the firebox. I think that leaving ash insulates the bottom of the fire allowing it to burn just a little bit hotter as this keeps it away from the water. I may be wrong on the reason, but like I said, it seemed to burn hotter and cleaner with the same supply of wood.

I agree!!

I also spread mine on the lawn. You can definitely tell in the spring where the ash was spread (nice and green!).

Status
Not open for further replies.