Ash Grate on the Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler659

Jun 15, 2010
west tennessee
Does the sliding grate inside the mansfield need to be in the closed position when the stove is in operation.I know the Ash door on the outside has to be closed but i was wondering about the slide.

Close it. You want to keep the embers in there as well as a bed of ash.
Open the slide when you want to clean out the firebox.

I agree. Mine is always closed except when I am cleaning out the ash.

Mine is closed all the time..... I use a shovel for the ashes...

I also keep mine closed at all times and shovel the ash through the front door. I found the grate to be a terrible design. Once opened to receive ash, small chunks of coals clog the grate opening, and you cannot close the grate again (without a lot of work removing every little stuck coal). I wish the stove simply had no ash pan, then no additional door/gasket to be concerned with. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
I also keep mine closed at all times and shovel the ash through the front door. I found the grate to be a terrible design. Once opened to receive ash, small chunks of coals clog the grate opening, and you cannot close the grate again (without a lot of work removing every little stuck coal). I wish the stove simply had no ash pan, then no additional door/gasket to be concerned with. Cheers!

I'm with you on the ash grate.I just fill it with ash and close it then shovel out the ash.I think I'll remove the ash from the grate drawer and fill it with sand then keep the grate closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.