Ash in OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utilitrack

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2008
Central ME
I just noticed this morning that there seems to be a 1/2" ask build-up on the horizontal surfaces of my OAK. I was under the impression that this is a once a year maintenance issue. Can I get away with just vacuuming the end of the OAK or should I open up the clean out on the inside. New Lopi Leyden PS installed on 10/10/08- have burned through 3/4 of a ton of Energex pellets. Clean out main chamber daily, perform thorough clean out 2 times per week.

Marc

Utilitrack said:
I just noticed this morning that there seems to be a 1/2" ask build-up on the horizontal surfaces of my OAK. I was under the impression that this is a once a year maintenance issue. Can I get away with just vacuuming the end of the OAK or should I open up the clean out on the inside.
Marc

Marc, I'm not sure I'm following you.....you say there is ash build-up on your Outside Air Kit? Not sure how that can be, since it's pulling air from outside your home......maybe I'm missing something here.

One way I can see this happening is, if the OAK terminates
above and or too close to the exhaust termination.
If this is the case I would correct that asap.

Sorry Macman- you are correct,I have a combo OAK and exhaust set-up, draws in outside air through a double walled system in same pipe as the exhaust. So it is the exhaust that has ash build-up. Sorry for the confusion.

Marc

OK, I got it now. Hey, if it's not too cold out, and you have the time to clean the ash out, then do it.....can't hurt. Keeping things clean on these stove setups can only help things in the long run. The clean "once a year" isn't written in stone......

I clean the exhaust as needed. Sometimes twice
a year, sometimes once. Depends on how much
ash the pellets leave behind. Like macman said,
nothing etched in stone about stove maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.