Ash in P68 Burn Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abfitch1212

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2009
Southington,Ct
Have been noticing the past couple days a lot of ash build up in the burn pot. I am burning somerset pellets so I know its not the pellet. Well I think its not the pellet. I tried the feed rate at 4 and also at 3 and still seems to be the same. I just cleaned the stove 3 days ago. Gave the whole stove a good clean. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me
Thanks

Maybe need a little more air to eject that ash? I'm not sure what's available for adjustment on your stove, but I'd try to get more combustion air through that burn pot.

I have been burning Allegheny pellets and the ash has varied within the same ton. Going from a lot of ash to hardly any. So, I am thinking it's the pellets with a bit of inconsistency. That has been my experience with the pellets I am burning now.

I have been burning strictly Greene Teams and when I wake up in the morning the ash has built up in front of the burning pellets and sometimes looks like it is "choking" the fire. Trying Maine's choice right now after doing my weekly cleaning when I got home from work. Had to empty a bag and a half of GT from the hopper.... :/

Yea i am not sure if its the pellets. I burned greenteam when it was warmer out and never had a build up like this. Just looking for imput thats all and maybe I have to adjust something. Just trying to to pick peoples brains

Abfitch1212 said:
Yea i am not sure if its the pellets. I burned greenteam when it was warmer out and never had a build up like this. Just looking for imput thats all and maybe I have to adjust something. Just trying to to pick peoples brains

Somerset is a wood flooring producer, oak being the most popular. They use other species that contribute to the pellet mix so ash may vary. Even if its all oak, age and region will also be a factor...wood is wood,so it will always vary. Not much to adjust on the 68, so give it a week and see it it doesn't improve.

My stove is completely different than yours, but I am also burning Somerset's and this years supply has a lot more ash than last years. With this years I have to vacuum my stove every 2 to 3 days, and every night I dump a small build up out of the burn pot. Right now I am burning some of last years supply, stove has been running nonstop on low since 2pm saturday, very little ash in the stove and no buildup in the burn pot. So yes they can vary and this years seems to have a lot more ash. They do still put out the same fantastic heat as last years so I can live with the rest.

I have been burning strictly Greene Teams and when I wake up in the morning the ash has built up in front of the burning pellets and sometimes looks like it is "choking" the fire. Trying Maine's choice right now after doing my weekly cleaning when I got home from work. Had to empty a bag and a half of GT from the hopper.... :/

Found the green team had really high ash, didn't like them at all. My burn pot filled as did yours when I burned them. Glass turned black and they don't smell very pleasant.

Found the green team had really high ash, didn't like them at all. My burn pot filled as did yours when I burned them. Glass turned black and they don't smell very pleasant.

I didn't mind them too much. Just had to clear the ash in front of the fire a couple times a day. Actually probably didn't HAVE to but I felt better doing so. Going to be burning MWP for the most part next year. I burned a few bags about a month ago and really liked them.

I agree it's likely just the pellets. If you haven't changed your stove and it's otherwise running tip top, its probably the fuel. Strange you say you had less of a problem when you have the stove turned down. I'd think you'd have more of a problem as you'd have less turbulence from the lower combustion air.

In the past I've had good luck with NEWP while reading countless complaints about high ash. IME, This years NEWP are terrible as far as ash goes yet I've read posts stating people feel NEWP has gotten their act together and is producing a low ash product.

I've also had decent luck with MWP. Maine's Choice have been the absolute worst pellet as far as ash goes. I'm around 15 bags into a freshly cleaned stove and my ash pan is pretty much full! Mepellet, I hope you have better luck with yours.

I agree it's likely just the pellets. If you haven't changed your stove and it's otherwise running tip top, its probably the fuel. Strange you say you had less of a problem when you have the stove turned down. I'd think you'd have more of a problem as you'd have less turbulence from the lower combustion air.

In the past I've had good luck with NEWP while reading countless complaints about high ash. IME, This years NEWP are terrible as far as ash goes yet I've read posts stating people feel NEWP has gotten their act together and is producing a low ash product.

I've also had decent luck with MWP. Maine's Choice have been the absolute worst pellet as far as ash goes. I'm around 15 bags into a freshly cleaned stove and my ash pan is pretty much full! Mepellet, I hope you have better luck with yours.

Only tried a few bags of Maine's Choice. Did NOT like them. Too many 1/16" pieces and lots of carbon buildup...

Status
Not open for further replies.