P-43 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mr meener

Aug 11, 2017
NY, USA
My P-43 is acting weird. the burn pot is full to the edge with glowing pellets small flame to the rear feed rate on less then 1 pellet usage unchanged. I keep the feed rate that low all the time and the stove never did that. it is actually hotter now then before and not using more pellets. it is actually better but not acting like it always does for 15 years. I will shut it down and clean it. does anyone know what it could be? the control board?

Deep clean it first, sound like an airflow problem…are you using and OAK? Check the flapper on a the air intake as well, they do get stuck sometimes

Reactions: ARC
Deep clean it first, sound like an airflow problem…are you using and OAK? Check the flapper on a the air intake as well, they do get stuck sometimes
no outside air. flapper OK. using for over 15 years no problems. it is actually giving out more heat with same pellet usage cause the pot is full of glowing pellets and there is a fire in the back. wish it would stay that way but something is not right lol. I will clean it and see what happens

Last edited:
Reactions: ARC
Any chance you can post a video?

Have you changed pellet brands? When my P-61 does what you are describing, the igniter compartment under the burn pot is usually full of fines and ash. Some pellets are worse than others with that.

Have you changed pellet brands? When my P-61 does what you are describing, the igniter compartment under the burn pot is usually full of fines and ash. Some pellets are worse than others with that.
I am thinking a bag of pellets are slow burning rather then igniting into a flame. I have a flame but a lot of glowing pellets which are putting out a good amount of heat. I will be out of those pellets by tonite so when I put in a new bag I can see if is the same. yes when I clean the stove it is amazing how much accumulates in that compartment.

Like @ABusWrench says, most likely ash in the igniter area. It doesn't matter what the stove has done in the last 15 years because any change in pellets (even if they are the same brand) or atmospheric conditions, or air movement around the exhaust termination can affect it.

Most likely your pellets are a bit ashier than usual, so more is finding its way into the igniter area. I also find when there is a lot of humidity in the air, my P43 is more sensitive to the ash in the igniter area. I tend to have to clean that area at least once between actual cleaning of the stove itself. My P61a on the other hand, normally doesn't see much accumulation there.

Like @ABusWrench says, most likely ash in the igniter area. It doesn't matter what the stove has done in the last 15 years because any change in pellets (even if they are the same brand) or atmospheric conditions, or air movement around the exhaust termination can affect it.

Most likely your pellets are a bit ashier than usual, so more is finding its way into the igniter area. I also find when there is a lot of humidity in the air, my P43 is more sensitive to the ash in the igniter area. I tend to have to clean that area at least once between actual cleaning of the stove itself. My P61a on the other hand, normally doesn't see much accumulation there.
thanks every body for the info. I will clean it today and tell of the results. I wonder why the P 61 doesnt have the buildup of ash ignitor box? maybe the saw the problem and redesigned it

I still get a buildup underneath my P61A burnpot and it depends which pellets I’m burning, with hardwood it’s more granular like a sand almost, with softies it’s more fluffy ash.

Reactions: ABusWrench
thanks every body for the info. I will clean it today and tell of the results. I wonder why the P 61 doesnt have the buildup of ash ignitor box? maybe the saw the problem and redesigned it

The P43 has an extra row of holes compared to the P61a, and the "ramp" up from the burn pot is steeper. The P61a still gets ash, just not as much and on my cleaning schedule, it doesn't cause any issues. I don't think it was a manufacturer fix, but that the P-43's pot is shorter to begin with (for clearance to the door), but it still needs to hold a decent amount of pellets for ignition. With the pellets more concentrated, it needs more air (hence the extra holes). That is just my opinion, not anything I've studied or looked up, so don't take that to the bank - LOL.

But the turnabout is that my P43 doesn't fill the fines box between cleanings, but the P61a does. HOwever, I've never had a full fines box cause any issues, so I don't have to clean it in between.

Reactions: mr meener