Ash is On the Menu

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in your situation 2 years ago and it hit me this year. I was following the DEC reports in our area and they were saying they were about 20 miles from me in 2013. They are stealth, one year everything is fine then they move in with out you noticing and you'll see the bark on your trees start to fall off like the wood peckers have had a feast. Its is sad and devastating to your property. In my instance I am 90% ash.

I was hoping the ridiculous winter we had last year took a toll on them but apparently it didn't. It did slow down the ticks, though.

I was hoping the ridiculous winter we had last year took a toll on them but apparently it didn't. It did slow down the ticks, though.

I was also hoping that this past winter would kill off these bugs to, this winter seems like its going to be a mild one thanks to the el nino, it looks like these bugs are going to multiply and invade everywhere here.

Hey Husky, I'm here in Rochester as well. West side. Virtually every day I go out I see infected Ash pulled to the side of the road. I have loads of it CSS and in rounds. The tree guys don't know what to do with all the dead Ash....I have seen them working and they have delivered 15 logs of it and cherry on my driveway for free just to get rid of it!!

Hey Husky, I'm here in Rochester as well. West side. Virtually every day I go out I see infected Ash pulled to the side of the road. I have loads of it CSS and in rounds. The tree guys don't know what to do with all the dead Ash....I have seen them working and they have delivered 15 logs of it and cherry on my driveway for free just to get rid of it!!
I have found a buddy of mine that will trade me ash for corn. I traded out my wood stove 2 years ago for a pellet stove, I wasn't thinking on that decision very well. Since I have already made the investment and do like the ease of the pellet stove I will not be going back to wood. I had to think long and hard about staying with pellets with all the wood around me for free that has to come down. I think I have a good solution though.

I was in your situation 2 years ago and it hit me this year. I was following the DEC reports in our area and they were saying they were about 20 miles from me in 2013. They are stealth, one year everything is fine then they move in with out you noticing and you'll see the bark on your trees start to fall off like the wood peckers have had a feast. Its is sad and devastating to your property. In my instance I am 90% ash.

Yep, this. You can see the foliage starting to die off from the top down. There will also be weird, sideways-D shaped holes in the trunk. They look like a capital-D rotated 90 degrees clockwise with the bow on the bottom and the straight part on top. The holes are small, a little smaller than the capital-D on your keyboard. The woodpecker activity is a dead giveaway, too. We saw tons of bark debris on the snow around those trees all winter, as the woodpeckers tore them up to feast on the grubs.

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2697&q=464598&deepNav_GID=1631 #signs

eabemerging_250.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.