Ash Management Tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsherman

May 4, 2015
ohio
image.jpg Hi all, I just installed a progress hybrid. Unfortunately we couldn't get the ash pan because of height restrictions. Any tips for cleaning ashes? What about must have tools? Thanks.

Basics = metal bucket with a lid and metal shovel. Metal bucket is a must and ashes should always be stored outside as hot coals can remain for a very long time. This should be a no exceptions rule. Never use bags or boxes and always put it outside for a couple days before disposal.

I also have a brush for a good sweep up. Many people like to have a slotted shovel so they can collect or retain hot coals and only remove ash when they need to make room for a reload. Coal or ash rakes are also popular for pulling coals forward before a reload to get a good burn.

Someone posted here the picture of a steel kitty litter scoop that should also work well. Or buy a fireplace shovel in a yard sale and drill holes in it yourself.

View attachment 163812 Hi all, I just installed a progress hybrid. Unfortunately we couldn't get the ash pan because of height restrictions. Any tips for cleaning ashes? What about must have tools? Thanks.

Don't install your pellet stove on the ceiling.

I have a couple of Powersmith ash vacs that work great. But ash vacs are not for pulling ash out of a hot stove. But for cleaning up cold ashes.

Nice. Looks like a commercial deep fryer basket would do the same job.

Somewhat. This one's holes are the right size to separate the ash and embers, does the job well, has a heat resistant black finish, is the right size for a wood stove, and does not have the parts of a fryer basket that would get in the way.

Nice idea.
regarding the video -- if I tossed ash and embers around like you demonstrated in the video, the entire interior of our house would be covered with fine ash, not too sure about your place but I would be kicked out of the house if I shoveled ashes around like that.

Yeah, but I would rather have this oneTest-basket.jpg then the other one.

Madison, I don't seem to have the ash in the house problem. Maybe because the heat is still drawing air up the chimney so that is where the ash goes (now ash on the floor is another thing, but that just means I have to be a little careful when shoveling or get out the vacuum).

Basics = metal bucket with a lid and metal shovel. Metal bucket is a must and ashes should always be stored outside as hot coals can remain for a very long time. This should be a no exceptions rule. Never use bags or boxes and always put it outside for a couple days before disposal.

I also have a brush for a good sweep up. Many people like to have a slotted shovel so they can collect or retain hot coals and only remove ash when they need to make room for a reload. Coal or ash rakes are also popular for pulling coals forward before a reload to get a good burn.

It may seem obvious, but only ever put the can with hot ashes in it directly outside, and on something non-flammable, and stable. I put mine in the driveway or on the stone patio.

There's a post on here somewhere of a guy who set his ash can down on the snowpack outside his door, only to turn around and have it gone....melted down through ten feet of snow, leaving just a hole behind :D

It may seem obvious, but only ever put the can with hot ashes in it directly outside, and on something non-flammable, and stable. I put mine in the driveway or on the stone patio.

There's a post on here somewhere of a guy who set his ash can down on the snowpack outside his door, only to turn around and have it gone....melted down through ten feet of snow, leaving just a hole behind :D

A home up the road from us burnt down last spring when a plastic pail of day old ashes was set out on the front porch...

I see a fire caused by hot coals in the ashes disposed of improperly every year up here . . . and I truly mean every year . . . plastic bucket, cardboard box, plastic bag, etc. left on the porch, garage, deck, etc.

Co-worker was telling me that he did a story for one of the local TV stations a few years ago since he is also a chimney sweep . . . talked about the usual stuff including disposing of ashes properly . . . used his parent's house and stove for the shoot location . . . and then he said a few days later after the story aired his parents had a fire . . . in their garage . . . from hot ashes disposed of improperly . . . needless to say as a professional firefighter and chimney sweep who had just done a story about safe burning and ash disposal he was not overly impressed with his father.

Jake, that is unfortunately hilarious.

Our FD has signs up on the side of the road with tips on fire prevention. I think I am going to recommend they do one on fireplace and stove ash removal/handling/storage.

A couple winters back a family was lost after the fireplace ashes were dumped outside and leaves caught fire. Ashes should only be put in a metal container and that container should not be in contact with any combustible surface.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Nice idea.
regarding the video -- if I tossed ash and embers around like you demonstrated in the video, the entire interior of our house would be covered with fine ash, not too sure about your place but I would be kicked out of the house if I shoveled ashes around like that.

That would be a serious offense here!

So I've been reading this thread and others, and absolutely love that there are firefighters posting to these forums for some nice real-world gut checks. But I still have a question about the ash bucket...cause eventually it does need to be dumped somewhere. So after putting hearth.com forum-approved ash container outside in a forum-approved safe place away from any combustible materials, how long do you wait before emptying the ashes somewhere else? I think I read "a couple of days" elsewhere on here...just curious what others have to say.

It depends on where it is being dumped. Hot coals can stay glowing in a bed of ash for a week. If the ashes get dumped around the base of plants and in the garden or on ice then there is no problem. But otherwise treat them as hot for a week or two to be on the safe side.

I still have a question about the ash bucket...cause eventually it does need to be dumped somewhere. So after putting hearth.com forum-approved ash container outside in a forum-approved safe place away from any combustible materials, how long do you wait before emptying the ashes somewhere else? I think I read "a couple of days" elsewhere on here...just curious what others have to say.

I have no doubt coals can stay live in an ash bed for a week. I don't go digging through mine. I remember on a trip as a kid one of the other kids at camp shuffled barefoot through what appeared to be a cold ash bed at a camp fire site that didn't look to have been used in a while. Kid had to be medevaced. I did see the burns, I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, made quite an impression on me.

I use a metal bucket from stove to outdoors, and then a 35 gallon metal trash can in a safe place outdoors. The trash can has a tight fitting lid, and then I have a bungie cord through the handle on the lid hooked to the handles on the can. The lid hasn't sprung loose in any wind yet.

The metal trash can is galvanized, I couldn't find one not galvanized. I figure vaporized zinc is pretty minimal and mostly inside the trashcan. In spring we use a measuring cup full of ash under each tomato transplant, then the rest go to the dump. Special "ash only" dumpster at my local transfer station.

I anticipate about 6 gallons of ash per cord, burning spruce and birch. At 9 cords annually I have to empty the ash can three times every two years after the tomatoes are happy. Wetter wood makes more ashes.

You might could sprinkle your ashes on the lawn come spring time, but it's high in potassium, probably need some nitrogen and calcium to keep the soil minerals in balance.

I am curious to hear what the firefighters have to say on this subject. If I didn't have a dedicated ash dumpster at the transfer station I would have quite a surplus here.

Status
Not open for further replies.