Maximum Chimney Height - Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brigcoals

Jan 8, 2024
New Jersey
We plan to get a wood insert and had a dealer/installer measure today. They said my chimney was too high for the Lopi Large wood insert - it has to be between 15' and 33' - and would create too much draft. Asked about a damper but said the Lopi couldn't be installed with that chimney height.

The height is probably 36-38'.

Are there large wood inserts that work for this chimney height? I've been researching and many only give a min height but not a max.

Thank you!

Inserts make make dampers hard to mount.
And yes, that would likely be too tall.

Some folks add multiple key dampers in the flue of their (free standing) stoves.

If you have a way to access the dampers,.so you can start the insert with the dampers open, and close them when it's heating up, then it might be possible - but you're going to have an uphill battle.

If you do this, I strongly suggest to add a draft measuring device (magnaehelic or other) so you know what you're doing.

Thanks stoveliker, I'm not opposed to adding dampers (cost permitting) but hopeful there's other brands that have a wider chimney operating range.

Would welcome suggestions to research if anybody knows of inserts that may work. I don't see a max height (only min) for some Pacific Energy and Blaze Kings so going to call on Monday to get their views.

I think most (if not all) stoves are designed for under 25'.

But then it's not the height that matters but the draft.
BK specifies the draft - and all stove mfgs should do so. A BK would be far out of spec on a 35' flue.

Dampers, if technically possible, are not expensive. The way to access them with an insert might be though.

Maybe @begreen or @bholler knows off inserts that operate on taller chimneys.

36-38' is a tall flue for any stove. A good, experienced installer/sweep will understand the issue. The height may make using a smaller liner to be considered.

If there is a bit of headroom above the insert then a damper may be installed at the appliance adapter with a linkage fashioned to permit an extension to be attached the projects through a hole drilled in the surround. There are some past examples in this forum. It's not rocket science, but it is custom work and will add an hour or two of billable work to the job.

I have a sweep coming at the end of the week and will discuss this possibility with them. Sincerely appreciate the thoughts and help here.

It can be done. Pay attention to the different damper designs. Some have holes some don’t. You probably want the one with no holes.

Point of reference. I have 23’ of insulated liner and run my insert with a damper (with holes) normal hot reload will need to be opened to reload then closed 85% then fully closed once secondary burn kicks in.

Reactions: stoveliker
It can be done. Pay attention to the different damper designs. Some have holes some don’t. You probably want the one with no holes.

Point of reference. I have 23’ of insulated liner and run my insert with a damper (with holes) normal hot reload will need to be opened to reload then closed 85% then fully closed once secondary burn kicks in.

Excellent, that's encouraging. I'm out of my depth so going to need to find the right installer who can assist with these details.
Thank you

Excellent, that's encouraging. I'm out of my depth so going to need to find the right installer who can assist with these details.
Thank you
Should have clarified the damper can be done. The install will still need experience that goes beyond what I can offer.