Ash or Bitternut Hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3fordasho

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 20, 2007
South Central Minnesota
Ok, I would swear this is ash but several others on another site say it's bitternut hickory... If it's hickory that would mean I have alot of it in my stacks that I thought was green ash!

ashorhickory2.gif

ashorhickory1.gif

Ash

Hickory? Only because this is something I have and have not been able to id. The flat faced bark grows in segments, not like Ash. It splits differently, burns with a nice aroma and is heavier.

Ash.

I cut a lot of Hickory and can tell you that it doesn't look anything like Hickory

Is that what you call a knot-hickory?

Backwoods Savage said:
Is that what you call a knot-hickory?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mywaynow said:
The flat faced bark grows in segments, not like Ash.
Doesn't look like Ash bark to me, either...

Woody Stover said:
mywaynow said:

I guess the leaves are really messy with you. ;-)

smokinjay said:
Woody Stover said:
mywaynow said:

I guess the leaves are really messy with you. ;-)
Hard to tell. The leaves are a little dried out and they're trunk leaves, but the leaflets look stalkless. Bitternut is a common Hickory, like Pignut is...

3fordasho said:
Ok, I would swear this is ash but several others on another site say it's bitternut hickory... If it's hickory that would mean I have alot of it in my stacks that I thought was green ash!

Known pignut hickory.

Attachments

• hickory.jpg
    hickory.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 4,320
smokinjay said:
The rings are much tighter on yours vs op pic's! :cheese:
True, but the ring width is just an indicator of how fast the tree was growing. A woods tree that doesn't get much light is going to have less growth each year. I went out and looked at mine again...there were some pretty wide rings on some branches. Maybe those branches were getting more light. Look at the top (or left) OP pic. The branch with the dark heartwood has pretty tight rings. And I don't know how Bitternut compares with Pignut as to ring width.

Anyhow, I'm waiting for more heavyweight wood ID nerds to check in.... ;-P

Not enough contrast between heart/sap wood to be hickory. IMHO.

Woody Stover said:
smokinjay said:
The rings are much tighter on yours vs op pic's! :cheese:
True, but the ring width is just an indicator of how fast the tree was growing. A woods tree that doesn't get much light is going to have less growth each year. I went out and looked at mine again...there were some pretty wide rings on some branches. Maybe those branches were getting more light. Look at the top (or left) OP pic. The branch with the dark heartwood has pretty tight rings. And I don't know how Bitternut compares with Pignut as to ring width.

Anyhow, I'm waiting for more heavyweight wood ID nerds to check in.... ;-P

;-)

This looks like Bitternut Hickory to me - I cut a lot of it on my father-in-law's property. The photo of the smoother bark gave it away for me. The photo with the round split in half had the bitternut dark streaks in it as well. If you could show a close up of the plainsawn grain when it is split, that would probably convince everyone it is Bitternut Hickory and not Ash.

ASH no ifs ands or buts!!

nrford said:
ASH no ifs ands or buts!!
I've only seen White Ash here, but the OP's pics look like the Green Ash bark pics in the Field Guide, to be sure. BTUs look decent on the Green...

DBoon said:
This looks like Bitternut Hickory to me - I cut a lot of it on my father-in-law's property. The photo of the smoother bark gave it away for me. The photo with the round split in half had the bitternut dark streaks in it as well. If you could show a close up of the plainsawn grain when it is split, that would probably convince everyone it is Bitternut Hickory and not Ash.
None of the OP's wood has been split, there are pictures of Hickory mixed in with the ash for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.