Ash Pan Door Air Leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I was cleaning my stove and chimney for the upcoming season and I noticed some thin glazing on the surfaces in the ash pan area. The stove (Jotul Castine) is only a few years old, but I open the ash pan door often during season to clean it and I am guessing I might have a small air leak. I tried the dollar bill test and it pulls out easily in a couple of spots. The gasket looks good, but the test failed, so I am guessing it isn't. The dollar shouldn't pull out at all in any area around the door, correct? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Art

Yeah, it should be tight or very hard to pull out. Is there a way to tighten the latch?

change the gasket no harm done by doing that. do you open the ash pan door to sart the fire? that could cause the glazing on the door

"A few years old" is getting old for a gasket. Rick

I don't open the ash pan door to start a fire.

The strange thing is that the gasket looks full and round (no flatening or signs of wear) and it feels like it is sealing when I close the door (I can feel the gasket compressing as I push on the door).

I didn't know that a few years was old for a gasket. The main door also slips a dollar by pretty easily and I open that door many more times than the ash door. I guess it is time to learn how to replace a gasket. Though, I am not messing with the glass gasket until I absoultely need to.

i would say gasket is good for 3-5yrs on avg. not hard to do at all!

JotulOwner said:

The strange thing is that the gasket looks full and round (no flatening or signs of wear) and it feels like it is sealing when I close the door (I can feel the gasket compressing as I push on the door).

I didn't know that a few years was old for a gasket. The main door also slips a dollar by pretty easily and I open that door many more times than the ash door. I guess it is time to learn how to replace a gasket. Though, I am not messing with the glass gasket until I absoultely need to.

Pull the ashpan and carefully check to be sure there isn't hard, ash buildup behind the pan. It's sometimes hard to see. Take a poker and a flashlight to be sure. If the pan is pushing against the door it can prevent the gasket from sealing tightly.

BeGreen said:
JotulOwner said:

Pull the ashpan and carefully check to be sure there isn't hard, ash buildup behind the pan. It's sometimes hard to see. Take a poker and a flashlight to be sure. If the pan is pushing against the door it can prevent the gasket from sealing tightly.
+1 Usually the first place to check. Good call Be green. Be safe.
Ed

BeGreen said:
JotulOwner said:

Thanks. I cleaned the whole ash pan area down to metal. Looks like the gasket needs replacement. Does anyone know the correct diameter and density for the Castine main door and ash pan door gaskets? Someone posted something about installing the gasket just before the first fire of the season so the glue cures right away. Does it make that much of a difference?

Thanks for all the responses to my questions. The amount of knowledge and experience (and willingness to share it) on this forum is priceless.

Ash Door Gasket - 5/16” - LD - 4’

The manual lists the F400 ash pan gasket as 5/16" low density. My preference is to use RTV silicone cement here for a better bond.

BeGreen said:
Ash Door Gasket - 5/16” - LD - 4’

The manual lists the F400 ash pan gasket as 5/16" low density. My preference is to use RTV silicone cement here for a better bond.

Thanks. I didn't see that the first time I flipped through the manual.

I would never have guessed that RTV silicone could be used on a stove. I looked up Rutland 500 and they say "500°F heat resistant silicone sealant forms a tough rubbery adhesive seal and maintains its flexibility at 450°F continuously and 500°F intermittently". I guess the doors don't get anywhere near as hot as the top. They also make a product they say is good to 2000F. I had some of that on hand already (for stove pipe seams), but it isn't as tacky as silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.