Ash pan for air source?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deppizzymo

Feb 28, 2022
Missouri
Is it bad practice to utilize the ash pan door as an air source? I had heard someone somewhere mention using their ash pan to get a fire going and I cracked it to see and it was seriously like turning on a gas burner but I wasn't sure if this would have an ill effect on the stove or wear out the ash pan seal more quickly.

Thanks!

yes it is bad practice. I'm sure others will chime in as to exactly why it is bad. I'm pretty sure you risk warping the bottom of your stove. Either way it is not something you should do

Reactions: Deppizzymo
Is it bad practice to utilize the ash pan door as an air source? I had heard someone somewhere mention using their ash pan to get a fire going and I cracked it to see and it was seriously like turning on a gas burner but I wasn't sure if this would have an ill effect on the stove or wear out the ash pan seal more quickly.

Thanks!
Never open ash door while fire is burning. even when it’s just coals I always open the glass door first.

My concern would be ashes falling to the floor, then someone opening a door nearby and a major draft flinging an ash outside of the non combustable pad, like into the corner of a wall, sitting there smoldering/festering until it catches fire. As pointed out above, cracking the door seems to be the acceptable means of operation to get a fire going. If you have to do this post fire start, then your wood is too wet or your draft is too poor (not a long enough run, too cold, obstructions etc)

Glad I asked... I only did it the one time thinking it wouldn't be enough of a difference for me to be tempted by it but it really got the fire hot fast lol

If you ever look at how old wood-fired blacksmith forges were built, you'll notice a lot of similarity between that and a stove with an open ash pan door. But unlike a forge, a stove can suffer from warping and cracking due to the concentration of localized heat created one small area of an otherwise cooler stove.

The two most common reasons folks find themselves wanting to open their ash pan door are:

1. Overwhelmingly, trying to burn wood that is not properly dried. Many of us have been there / done that, when we were starting. Resist the temptation!

2. Poor chimney draft due to warm outside weather. But if your wood is dry, simply starting the fire with the loading door (not ash pan door) ajar should provide sufficient draft to get things caught within 2 - 4 minutes. After it's caught, the chimney will quickly warm, and you can close the loading door. Of course, never walk away from a stove with loading door ajar, even for a minute. It's too easy to get distracted by the dog, kids, phone... whatever, and come back to a severely-overfired stove after just a short time.

If you ever look at how old wood-fired blacksmith forges were built, you'll notice a lot of similarity between that and a stove with an open ash pan door. But unlike a forge, a stove can suffer from warping and cracking due to the concentration of localized heat created one small area of an otherwise cooler stove.

The two most common reasons folks find themselves wanting to open their ash pan door are:

1. Overwhelmingly, trying to burn wood that is not properly dried. Many of us have been there / done that, when we were starting. Resist the temptation!

2. Poor chimney draft due to warm outside weather. But if your wood is dry, simply starting the fire with the loading door (not ash pan door) ajar should provide sufficient draft to get things caught within 2 - 4 minutes. After it's caught, the chimney will quickly warm, and you can close the loading door. Of course, never walk away from a stove with loading door ajar, even for a minute. It's too easy to get distracted by the dog, kids, phone... whatever, and come back to a severely-overfired stove after just a short time.
And this is definitely part of it. This is year one for me and I started gathering year one wood in Jan/Feb so I am confident it's dry enough to get me by but it's not all below 20% I'm sure. I appreciate it!

And this is definitely part of it. This is year one for me and I started gathering year one wood in Jan/Feb so I am confident it's dry enough to get me by but it's not all below 20% I'm sure. I appreciate it!

Depends on the wood, if it's softwood it could be below 20%, maybe ash or maple could too. If it's oak it may need 2 more years.

Depends on the wood, if it's softwood it could be below 20%, maybe ash or maple could too. If it's oak it may need 2 more years.
It's a big combination of things. Everything I have was already dead when taken except a single silver maple I cut down. Some were lying dead, some standing dead. Several stacks I made from scavenged wood in town on lunch break. There are various amounts of silver maple, hickory, elm, walnut, oak, osage, sycamore and sassafras.

The instant, forge-like temps created when the ashpan door feeds air under the fire cause metals to expand at different rates and almost inevitably cracks the base. It may not happen the first or second time but can eventually do damage. We see a lot of sad stories over the years with stoves where this has happened. The result is an expensive base replacement.
Jotul base crack2.jpgJotul base crack3.jpg

The instant, forge-like temps created when the ashpan door feeds air under the fire cause metals to expand at different rates and almost inevitably cracks the base. It may not happen the first or second time but can eventually do damage. We see a lot of sad stories over the years with stoves where this has happened. The result is an expensive base replacement.
View attachment 300105View attachment 300106
WOW

Tis but a flesh wound!

I just realized that I never checked my stove before firing it to see if there were any defects. Damn I'm too trusting. Watch I'll have a crack in there and wont get it warrantied. Thankfully Im handy and stubborn.

Yeah I see it way to often. Either from people doing it on purpose or not getting the ash door latched properly. Some people get away with it for years others pop the base the first time they try it

Reactions: Ashful