Ash tree ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Wow.....where have I been, wood of the kings etc., burns well wet or dry they say.

Wish I had about 10 cords of this stuff laid back.

Oh, the trees seem to have lots of bugs in them in certain states I read.

I am not sure if there are any around my house, but I'll be looking.

If I do find any I probably would not cut it because they may be getting hard to find.

Any comments, stories ?

Robbie

I have a lot of them on my place. It's the best for splitting and the trees I have are tall and have few limbs. Don't know about the 'burns green' comments, but I know it dries pretty fast since the splits in my stacks are real nice right now after only 3 months. Emerald ash borer is killing lots of these trees in Michigan and Northwest Ohio and it is spreading east, far as Cleveland now and probably will hit our area in the next year or two. Their loss will be sad, but I plan to burn all I can when they do get hit.

The first couple years we bought log length wood about 40 % was ash. I too have heard about burning it green so to say, have not tried it. We see two kinds, I think white and black, in vermont and Quebec. It splits almost looking at it. When cutting it in the woods, I am more careful then usual. It can split right on the stump as your felling.

I think that Louisville Slugger the bat company gets most of their ash from Northwestern PA? Never understood how those cork trees grew there though??

I think that Louisville Slugger the bat company gets most of their ash from Northwestern PA? Never understood how those cork trees grew there though??

The last one I know was found in the north side of Chicago. Steriods were not enough to overcome a bad hitting slump.
Somehow this slugger was able to find corksh bat and could not understand how it got into his hands during a game.
Had ash not split so easilly this juiced player would have continued using a juiced bat. Once peeing in a cup became mandatory, he had a non productive injury prone final year in Baltimore and retired back to the domincian republic.

Cork does not split as easily as ash.. I have asked this question many times and never received an answer?
These major league baseball teams have medical staff, trainers, Why does Tedida have to Shoot Palmaro in the ass with a wink wink b12 shot. Wouldn't trained medical staff be better qualified to administer such a shot. How hard is it to get liquid b12 to inject in the first place? So Palmmaro is gone but what about the guy that supplied him and stuck him. Is this another wink wink I should not be questioning this?

The best ash for bats comes from the Adirondacks. Nice white mountain ash. Vintage 181 is absolutely right about ash splitting easily on the stump, especially when it's frozen. Nice firewood, though not as many btus as beech, hickory, oak & sugar maple.

I've selected a very large beech tree to cut this fall for use in winter 2007. Will it dry enough for use then? My wood seasoning yard gets full sun about 10 hours a day during the summer and I put plastic on the top of the rows to shed rain.

I cut and burn mostly beech, and it dries more quickly than some other species I burn, like hard maple and yellow birch.

I'd put it ahead of ash, Gideon, simply because when dry, it is denser than ash. Somewhat less than dry? Then ash is your wood.

Hello PA Jerry,

When i made my previous post about good to go...when you mentioned 07 did you mean 067 winter or 07/08? I thought 07/08 with my post.

Eric Johnson said:
I cut and burn mostly beech, and it dries more quickly than some other species I burn, like hard maple and yellow birch.

I'd put it ahead of ash, Gideon, simply because when dry, it is denser than ash. Somewhat less than dry? Then ash is your wood.

In wood burners heaven the stack is all Beech. As far as the eye can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.