Ash wood burning very fast?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dave2500

Feb 15, 2015
NJ
Hello,
For seasoned ash, is anyone getting a long burn time out of it?
Im burning it in a CAT stove (keystone) but its burning very fast even on a low setting, but does give off a lot of heat
The moisture is ranging from 9-13%

Thank you

Reactions: patrickk222
Ash is not regarded as a dense wood, great for shoulder seasons but not very high btu. Dries quick and splits easy but for really cold weather and long burns its not ideal.

Ash is not regarded as a dense wood, great for shoulder seasons but not very high btu. Dries quick and splits easy but for really cold weather and long burns its not ideal.
Yeah im finding that out the hard way, it seems no matter what i do, i can really only get about 6 hours out of it. Too bad a ton of those trees have died so thats all i have for now!

Hello,
Im burning it in a CAT stove (keystone) but its burning very fast even on a low setting, but does give off a lot of heat

Thank you
My ash is about 10 years old, split large, when i burn it it lasts easily 10 hours and throws ridiculous amounts of heat, are your splits small? I could see fast burning on small splits, and i'm getting moisture content at about 10% in NE Ohio, but the wood is in a shed and appears to me almost kiln dried, and as hard as petrified wood. The shed can get up to 90 degrees in the dead of summer airflow is west to east.

Reactions: sloeffle
My experience with ash is great, long, long burns with tons of heat. It splits easy and dries fast so it is one of my favorite woods to burn. Getting harder to find it around here. The last two standing dead ash trees I cut down were surprisingly punky.

I have a bunch of Ash at the moment, but most of it was cut and stacked in Sept time frame so it is not quite ready. A lot was from Dead standing, so some pieces are a bit punky. Must have a half of dozen dead standing on my property at the moment. It does split easy though. Will be burning a lot of it next year.

How are you getting 9% moisture levels in NJ?
No way. Need a few big splits at room temp, then re-split and test in the middle of the fresh face. 16% or so is about as dry as it gets here.
Ash is not regarded as a dense wood, great for shoulder seasons but not very high btu.
Ash varies in density for me. Maybe I’m getting a mix of white and green, but some are dense and rock hard.
Yep, White Ash ranks close to Red Oak in BTU, 23.6 and 24 Mbtu/cord, respectively. Green or Black, more like 20 or less.
I have a bunch of Ash at the moment, but most of it was cut and stacked in Sept time frame so it is not quite ready. A lot was from Dead standing, so some pieces are a bit punky. Must have a half of dozen dead standing on my property at the moment.
Yeah, it doesn't hold up too well once it's dead. Harvest it as soon as possible.

I’ve been exclusively burning ash for probably 10 or so years due to EAB. It’s heated my house on the warmest of days and the coldest of days.

On a normal winter day I can easily heat my house on a dozen decent size ash splits in my OWB ( gasification). There’s definitely better species out there to burn but when you have hundreds of trees on the ground that just need cut up I’ll take it.

I don’t keep my wood in a shed but I generally see moisture levels around 20%.

Yep, White Ash ranks close to Red Oak in BTU, 23.6 and 24 Mbtu/cord, respectively. Green or Black, more like 20 or less.
I burn a lot of Ash here with a lot more to come no that the green bug is here ;-( I have very good results with ash but I do have both white and black ash. The white is much denser, the black ash is not as good, but mixed in with everything else I don't mind having it in my piles. I just reach for the heavier stuff for longer overnight burns.

I usually can't tell the difference between white and black, until I start cutting. Then the difference is apparent. I do find that the black ash tends to grow in the swampier / wetter parts of the woods and it will go bad faster.

Last edited:
No way. Need a few big splits at room temp, then re-split and test in the middle of the fresh face. 16% or so is about as dry as it gets here.

Yeah, it doesn't hold up too well once it's dead. Harvest it as soon as possible.
For some reason red oak throws quite a bit more heat, despite being rated almost identical in btu output, and it definitely burns longer.

Try saving some rounds or take advantage how easy it splits and split a bunch square for when you need longer burn times

Hello,

Thank you
My ash burns extremely fast.