Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelletfisky

Jan 3, 2012
Eastern Pennsylvania
Does anybody use the ash from the stove in a garden? I'm planting grass seed in my muddy yard and wanted to try using some ash mixed in to get full use out of the wood.

A lot of us use the ash for gardens and lawns. Be sure you do a pH test as the ash acts as a liming agent.

I dump mine on top of the compost pile.

Seems to help when I turn it over in the spring.

---Nailer---

My lawn loves it. Read somewhere that natural ash was better for lawns than the store bought stuff. Kind of makes sense. I think it was on a University Extension Service web site. Like any other lawn nutirent it needs to be spread evenly or it will leave burn spots. (Experience speaking here)

Would it be worth it to invest in a metal garbage can to sore ash in until spring? What do you guys do with your ash?

Cool thanks for the replies! I have alot of mud from the warm wet winter and the dogs!

Weird tolienish figure said:
Would it be worth it to invest in a metal garbage can to sore ash in until spring? What do you guys do with your ash?

Store it in a metal garbage can until spring. :lol:

Then dump into garden and proceed to rototill.

Weird tolienish figure said:

My pellet burner has a huge ash pan. It will hold the ash from 6 tons of pellets. I empty it once a season. But unless you are worried about uneven spread of the fly ash I would just make spreading the ash part of cleaning the stove. Why store it and handle it twice?

This is our 1st year with a pellet stove. I just happened to have a spare metal garbage can so we use that to put our ashes in. I will most likely till them in the raspberry patch in spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.