Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_B

Jun 24, 2012
Columbus OH
Split and stacked. Will go in shed as older wood is used. Just under 5 cords.

August 2012 cell phone pics 021.jpg

Oh no, here come the, you shouldn't stack between tree's, you shouldn't stack in double rows, you stacked too high comments. Looks nice too me, although it looks to be in quite a bit of shade!

I am on a short job near you just south of Toledo, plenty of dead Ash here for free no reason everyone who lives where the emerald ash thing has been, not to have plenty of Ash.

Have heard folks on here speak of this but to see it is awful, dead trees everywhere, where I play golf, big red Xs on the trees to be removed this winter. If I lived here I would have plenty of Ash.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Very Very Nice! I stack in double rows all the time and as long as you have enough dry time I have never had a problem.

Oh no, here come the, you shouldn't stack between tree's, you shouldn't stack in double rows, you stacked too high comments. Looks nice too me, although it looks to be in quite a bit of shade!

Darn it . . . I'm doing things wrong then . . . or at least a few things. Guess I've got to take apart my double stacks of wood that I've been using for the past four years to heat the house . . . and I've got to move the stacks from undernearth the trees. ;)

Plenty of dry time. I have two years worth of dry wood in shed.

I will cover top rows of stacks when cold weather arrives. I use that term cold weather loosely because last winter was unseasonably warm here in Central Ohio.

The ash came from my dad's yard where 9 trees were taken down. There is still a monster ash in his yard that is slowly being affected by ash borers. I have a couple of small ashes in my yard that are just beginning to show signs of ash borers.

It is a shame that so many trees are being wiped out. There were signs a few years ago on some state highways stating that it was illegal to move ash from one county to another, that was before the trees were dying everywhere.

Dave_B, I just noticed we live pretty close together. I actually lived in Reynoldsburg, Ohio for a few years when I was fresh out of college before I was able to move back to southern Ohio. Columbus provided some pretty good scrounging when I was living up there. It always seemed like there was someone giving away free wood on CL. Welcome to the forums!

Nice job Dave. In mid Michigan we have so much dead ash everywhere I'm sure much of it will never get used for heat. I've already found a few that were getting punky. :(

Dave_B, I just noticed we live pretty close together. I actually lived in Reynoldsburg, Ohio for a few years when I was fresh out of college before I was able to move back to southern Ohio. Columbus provided some pretty good scrounging when I was living up there. It always seemed like there was someone giving away free wood on CL. Welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the welcome. I'm up in the Westerville area. I went to OU for one year and love the countryside down there.

Yeah Wishlist, it is very easy to spot the dead ash still standing around town and in the near outskirts. I too believe a great amount will go to waste.

And....Get it off the ground....Congrats, good stuff!!

Nice job Dave. In mid Michigan we have so much dead ash everywhere I'm sure much of it will never get used for heat. I've already found a few that were getting punky. :(

Starting to be not too much left around here. I have had to start leaving some in the woods that wasn't worth taking home.

Starting to be not too much left around here. I have had to start leaving some in the woods that wasn't worth taking home.

I still have years of it ahead of me. My brother has a place on the Lake(Huron) that has ash trees that still have leaves. I have so much wood right now I hope those continue to put leaves out for a couple more years. I have one decent sized one still in my yard that has a few leaves this year so I know it's still good for few years before I need to take it down. The smaller 6-10 inch diameter ones in my yard seem to be holding their ground pretty well, those should have several more years left in them.

Great picture
Beautiful stack. Looks to be off the ground, just hard to see in the grass ?
Looks to be seasoning well, I do double rows too.

Gonna be a huge amount of BTUs released when the Ash goes to ashes ;)

The front of the first row near the tree is on 1 by and the back of the first row is on 2 by material due to slope. It is close to the ground there, I will agree!

Nice stacks, i never worry too much about the shade because the wind is the most important part of seasoning wood. I to stack in double rows and I try to leave about a foot in between stacks for air movment. I still have a couple small Ash tree's bearing leaves and a lot of saplings in the woods.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Oh no, here come the, you shouldn't stack between tree's, you shouldn't stack in double rows, you stacked too high comments.
Boy if that's the case, I'm in big trouble then.....part of my stack is 6 rows wide! :eek: I've never had a problem with moisture either. But I am seasoning all my wood over three years so it's working for me. By the way, nice stash o' ash you got there, Dave!

Nice ash ya got there.

I forgot.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ash. :confused:

I forgot.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ash. :confused:
lol......I think the ash may be the biggest sin in that list!!

I still have years of it ahead of me. My brother has a place on the Lake(Huron) that has ash trees that still have leaves. I have so much wood right now I hope those continue to put leaves out for a couple more years. I have one decent sized one still in my yard that has a few leaves this year so I know it's still good for few years before I need to take it down. The smaller 6-10 inch diameter ones in my yard seem to be holding their ground pretty well, those should have several more years left in them.

I'm gauging from personal experience in the woods, and also what I see driving around. I just don't see all the dead, leafless branches in the woodlots like I did not long ago.

Glad you still have some live ones. I see them in my travels, now and then.

Okay gzecc, so we'll hound you about the shade! ;lol We stack wood in the shade a lot. Wind is more important than sun when it comes to drying the wood. ;)

Just picking on you...

Dave, that is a nice stack of wood. We also have some friends in Westerville so we've been in your area.

All of our ash trees are dead and what is left has been dead for several years now. Only one has shown any punk so far but it is amazing how much of this wood we've just given away. Way too much for our own use and don't like seeing the wood go to waste.

Reactions: Gark and Dave_B
Status
Not open for further replies.