1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Ashes Hot?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Willhound, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willhound

Willhound Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    If there was ever any doubt regarding ashes still being hot after being removed from a stove or insert...here are a couple of shots I took today. After cleaning out my insert this morning I carefully placed the metal bucket outside away from any flammables. When I peeked out the window a while later to see if everything was OK, I though "That's strange...who would want to steal a bucket of ashes?"

They were still there....just sunk in the snow. On the bright side, this is the first time I've seen green grass in months!

Willhound

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DonCT

DonCT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bristol, Connecticut
    You mean you've never heard of the Ash Bandits?!?!
  3. BS-N

BS-N New Member

Loc:
    Northeastern Pennsylvania
    I usually just touch the ashes/coals to see if they're hot. It's the fastest way to settle the inquiry.
  4. Rhone

Rhone Minister of Fire

For safety I recommend a cover, prevents wind blowing leaves in, catching fire, and being blown out. Those photographs are really neat.
  5. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Definately.
    Of course, the leaves are under 2 feet of snow right now.... ;-P

Seriously, I've got a buddy with a mechanical shop that's keeping an eye out for a 20 gallon steel drum with a lid (like the kind grease comes in, steamcleaned of course) so that I can take my existing ash bucket and place it right inside the larger drum until it cools.
  6. Mo Heat

Mo Heat Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    My ash 'system'. Fill the second can while the first can cools. I've filled about 1/2 - 2/3 of one can, so far this year. The second is still full of last years ashes. Keep meaing to dump 'em.

Attached Files:

7. snowfreak

snowfreak New Member

Loc:
    Altona, NY
    Those are some pretty cool pictures. Maybe I can use your style of Ash cooling to keep my septic vent open in the winter. Of course I suppose those hot ashes could ignite the methane gas :eek:) Is 2 feet of snow (normal) for your location this time of year? As my nick implies I am quite fond of the white stuff.
  8. Willhound

Loc:
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Actually a little low for this time of year. Because of cold temps and relatively little snow to act as insulation we've had a lot of problems already with water lines freezing. Municipal work crews have had my street dug up twice already. Ice fisherman are loving it though because there's already over 2 feet of ice on the lakes. Gonna be another year of putting extensions on the ice augers.

Willhound
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.