At my wits end...pellet stove stuck on high flame mode but nothing else working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Collinsta

Jan 1, 2009
Western Colorado
We puchased a used profile 30 pellet stove 6 months ago. I has worked great with no problems for about 2 months now. The stove just shut down a couple night ago, we have unplugged it and the stove is not doing anything but showing "high" for the heat on the control board. We have checked wiring, and cleaned all possibl;e sources (ash box,photo eye and so on. Has anybody else had this problem. Does any one know if the stove has a reset button that will reset the stove? Please help

Depending on the type of temperature sensor used to detect overfiring, an open circuit may be read as MAX temperature. Alternatively, a short could also possibly come up as max temperature. I suggest you identify where the temperature sensor is located, remove and test it. It is more likely to be a PT100 style device (varistor) than a true thermocouple, since a thermocouple needs a fancy signal conditioner that is typically considered too expensive for this application. Alternatively it may be a bimetallic switch (most likely scenario), and with metal fatigue and corrosion they do eventually fail.

If it is a switch, you are looking for an open / closed status, depending on temperature (can test with a small blowtorch). If it is a linear style sensor, the varistor will show a resistance that changes proportionally to the temperature.

I'm fairly sure it will be the simplest type (switch).
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.