Atlanta Stove Works #40 Wood/Coal Antique Potbelly Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalter04

Mar 16, 2012
Connecticut
One of these came up for sale nearby. They're asking $150. Anyone know anything about these? ccb1899847fffd95fcbbaee0d194fa2b.jpgc0fc0d7fc00628ca73aec6beb61533be.jpge3dd2ac2decf88c56dc70169e70e4017.jpg3bdf207109ca505852656ca442a9daca.jpg527635d0012a23048ca11fd915e29154.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I thought maybe a coal stove too, but the seller claims they used wood in it, and what little I found on a web search indicated wood too. I've got a second chimney that runs though the house and was looking to add a parlor style stove as supplemental to the Fisher insert.

It will burn wood, quickly.

Reactions: bholler
Yeah you can burn wood in it but you will be loading it every half hour.

I passed on it. Not ready to get into coal and I wanted something a little bigger and ornate
The vast majority of parlor stoves are coal stoves. There are some that are a little better for wood than others but none of them are going to be very good. Why not look at a modern stove that will be much more efficient?

Mostly buying for looks and the space available. Would only be used when it's really cold and the big stove is struggling.

Mostly buying for looks and the space available. Would only be used when it's really cold and the big stove is struggling.
Fair enough but if you got a good modern stove you may end up using it instead of the fisher most of the time.

There are some wood burning Round Oaks that weren't too bad. Some even had rudimentary secondary combustion. However, besides being a lot more efficient, most modern stoves have much closer clearance requirements than the 36" that an old parlor stove would require.

Status
Not open for further replies.