Attack dp????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NE Wood stove

Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2009
Sterling, CT
I've been searching and searching this forum for information and I've found lots. One thing I really didn't find is information on the Attack models. Does anyone own one or know someone who does? Just wondering how they work putting it in line with an oil boiler and do they need storage? Cozy Heat has an Attack DP-35 package for $5500 or an Eco-25 package for $6200, if anyone can put there 2 cents in on this, I would appreciate it.
Also, what is the deal with a "regumat" to prevent under-cooling of the boiler. It has something to due with the return water. My oil boiler that I have now has nothing like that on it. ?????
Thanks Josh

I use a Danfoss mixing valve to keep the boiler return temp higher. The concept is that wood boilers like to run at higher temps - keeps the fire buring better and lessens creasote buildup. What the mixing valve does is feed the boiler input to the return. As the boiler heats up (and the return temp rises), more and more "normal" return water is used and less boiler output is running. For instance, if your boiler output is 160F but your return water is 120F, with a 140F mixing valve you would use 1/2 boiler output and 1/2 return water.

NE Wood stove said:
I've been searching and searching this forum for information and I've found lots. One thing I really didn't find is information on the Attack models. Does anyone own one or know someone who does? Just wondering how they work putting it in line with an oil boiler and do they need storage? Cozy Heat has an Attack DP-35 package for $5500 or an Eco-25 package for $6200, if anyone can put there 2 cents in on this, I would appreciate it.
Also, what is the deal with a "regumat" to prevent under-cooling of the boiler. It has something to due with the return water. My oil boiler that I have now has nothing like that on it. ?????
Thanks Josh

I have seen lots of people with EKO's and most have been reasonably happy with them, but I haven't seen a lot of comment on the Attack models - not sure just why...

However it may be a case of "no news is good news" as, we tend to get two classes of people here as users - the "enthusiasts" and those who are having problems... It is fairly rare to have someone find the hearth and register just to say how few issues they've had, but if something isn't working, people will get on line looking for help, so we see a disproportionately large share of people having issues... Not sure why we haven't had many enthusiasts installing Attacks, but at least there haven't been many people signing in to complain about them either...

On the Regumat - One of the issues with almost any iron or steel boiler is the question of "return water protection" - which can lead to "return water corrosion" issues if not handled properly - essentially the idea is that if the water returning to a boiler is excessively cold, it can cause the water vapor and other liquids in the combustion gases to condense on the walls of the heat exchanger, usually right where the return water enters the HX. These condensed liquids are quite corrosive, and can rapidly rust out the firebox from the fire-side in that area. The critical temperature is around 140°F, above that is fine, below is a serious problem. Fossil boilers handle this with a combination of system design, and control strategy, but these approaches don't work as well on wood boilers, plus our frequent use of storage can cause large amounts of cold water to be returning to the system for extended periods. In addition wood tends to have more water vapor in it, and make more corrosive condensation products.

Thus, as mentioned, it is necessary to provide some form of protection against excessively cold return water - which usually consists of some method of mixing enough supply water coming out of the boiler with the return water to get it above the critical temperature.... If properly implemented, all the methods are about the same in their effect, and are pretty interchangeable, but each boiler manufacturer has it's own preferred product / method, and the Regumat is what Attack uses...

Gooserider

NE Wood stove said:
Thanks Josh
Hi Josh; I don't have an Attack, I have the DC32GS Atmos that I am told has the identical lower burn chamber as the Attack. I am happy with the Atmos. I believe the Attack has an induced draft fan on it as does the Atmos & if put in a basement this would be an advantage. My Laddomat 21 works perfectly & is the cheapest tank charger/boiler protector I know of. As was mentioned you need to keep inlet temps up, Randy

one thing to check is if the Attack has UL approval. IF it does not, that might help explain the low price and apparent lack of installed units. Your building inspector and insurance company will frown on non-approved appliances.....

Thanks for all the information. It's all been so very helpful. When I do buy a gasification boiler, it will be replacing a wood-stove. So, I was wondering what you guys recommend for a chimney? Or if I can use the same chimney, it is double wall until it goes to enter thru my foundation, then it is class A thru the foundation and up the outside wall.

I'm waiting for info on if the unit is UL approved.

I understand the purpose for a storage tank but how many people actual use them. It's just right now I can only afford the boiler without storage. I'm a little afraid that the unit will tend to over heat if there's no storage for the extra heat to go to. It will be heating baseboard heat so there should be plenty of room for all the hot water. Hoping for radiant in floor heat in the next couple of years.

I replaced my oil boiler a few years ago but I'm not 100 % sure how to fit the gasification boiler in to the lope. They will probably be about 15 feet away from each other. If anyone knows of any links to a schematic that be awesome. It's a pretty simple set-up right now. There's two loads, one for the first floor and one for the basement. Two zone valves and one circulator.

Josh

NE Wood stove said:
Thanks for all the information. It's all been so very helpful. When I do buy a gasification boiler, it will be replacing a wood-stove. So, I was wondering what you guys recommend for a chimney? Or if I can use the same chimney, it is double wall until it goes to enter thru my foundation, then it is class A thru the foundation and up the outside wall.
Class A prefab chimneys that are OK for a wood stove will be OK for a boiler, with one possible "gotcha" - a lot of wood stove chimneys are only 6" diameter, many boilers are 8"... A lot of the 8" boilers can be necked down to use a 6" flue w/o problems, but you will often need to have some sort of manufacturer statement that it is OK in order to keep your code inspectors happy - obviously if you have an 8" chimney this isn't a problem, but if you have a 6" make sure the manual says the boiler is approved for use w/ a 6" flue.

I'm waiting for info on if the unit is UL approved.
Good question - and sort of a frustrating one, as all the Euro-boilers have had to pass the far stricter EU "EN-303-5" standard, but that isn't acceptable in many jurisdictions... Keep us posted on what you find out. (And be glad you aren't in MA, where we are screwed by a requirement for ASME certification - limiting us to two brands of boilers, and an $800-1,000 surcharge for the extra certification...)

I understand the purpose for a storage tank but how many people actual use them. It's just right now I can only afford the boiler without storage. I'm a little afraid that the unit will tend to over heat if there's no storage for the extra heat to go to. It will be heating baseboard heat so there should be plenty of room for all the hot water. Hoping for radiant in floor heat in the next couple of years.
A lot of us use them, and they are highly recommended, but not absolutely required (unless the manufacturer says so in the manual) - A lot of our members have done "phased" installs where they put in a boiler one year, and then added storage later, either as their finances allowed, or as they found out from experience that we knew what we were talking about :coolgrin: - What we do strongly suggest is that even if not doing storage with the initial install, that you plan for how you would do it, and incorporate any connections needed into the plumbing scheme as you do the initial install - the cost of adding a few extra fittings that are capped off for now is trivial compared to the cost / effort of taking stuff apart to add them in later...

The unit will not overheat w/o storage, instead it will go into "idle mode" which is not very efficient, and tends to smoke a bit, especially when going in and out of idle, but does keep the boiler from overheating, except possibly when there is extremely little call for heat, and usually only then if it was way oversized to begin with... There are ways to operate, even without storage that minimize idling, essentially by building smaller fires and loading more often...

Putting in radiant floor is an excellent idea, especially with storage, as it will generally help you get the maximum benefit from the storage by allowing you to use lower operating temps than you can generally get away with when running baseboard.

I replaced my oil boiler a few years ago but I'm not 100 % sure how to fit the gasification boiler in to the lope. They will probably be about 15 feet away from each other. If anyone knows of any links to a schematic that be awesome. It's a pretty simple set-up right now. There's two loads, one for the first floor and one for the basement. Two zone valves and one circulator.

Josh
That is usually not a big problem - as I've said, there are lots of approaches, but IMHO one of the best and simplest is to look at it as a "modular block" system - you have a block for "house loads", and a block for your fossil boiler, normally with two pipes connecting the blocks. I like to just put a tee in each one of those two pipes, and attach a "wood block" with the wood boiler and storage system. Leave the zone valves in the "house block" and the pump in the "fossil block", and have a second pump in the wood block. Use the same thermostat and control setup mostly, but add a sensor to the wood block to detect when it is hot enough to supply the house loads. The sensor would operate a relay that intercepts the "call for heat" signal going to the fossil block and sends it to the wood block instead, if the wood block is hot, or sends it to the oil burner if it isn't...

Sort of like the attached sketch... If you do some looking through the other threads, you will also find lots of other options for both plumbing and control strategies...

Gooserider

Attachments

• parallel-w-pumps.jpg
    parallel-w-pumps.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 687
Finally heard back about if the unit is UL approved and this is what I got -

This boiler is not U.L. approved. But, your insurance company will recognize the TUV certification and the CE.
Parts are not a problem, these are a major import from Poland and the manufacturer is an industrial boiler manufacturer.
I'll be glad to help throughout the installation process and, if needed, to trouble shoot any issues.

So with that said I will probably go with the Orlan Eko 25.

The diagram was pretty simple but what kind of dhw is that?
Also, any suggestions about how to get a 1200 lb unit into a basement with 7 stairs at a 45* angle?

Josh

NE Wood stove said:
Finally heard back about if the unit is UL approved and this is what I got -

This boiler is not U.L. approved. But, your insurance company will recognize the TUV certification and the CE.
Parts are not a problem, these are a major import from Poland and the manufacturer is an industrial boiler manufacturer.
I'll be glad to help throughout the installation process and, if needed, to trouble shoot any issues.

So with that said I will probably go with the Orlan Eko 25.

The diagram was pretty simple but what kind of dhw is that?
Also, any suggestions about how to get a 1200 lb unit into a basement with 7 stairs at a 45* angle?

Josh

If you were getting the Attack, I would have advised you to check with the insurance company and any relevant gov't inspection types to be sure that they really WILL accept CE / TUV certifications - they ought to, but I'd want something definite in writing saying they would before spending cash...

It's an "indirect" water heater - you will often see them in oil burner installs - essentially it is a hot water tank with a double walled coil in it - the potable water goes in the tank, and the hot boiler water gets pumped through the coil - quite efficient, but the tanks can be expensive. You can do the same basic thing with a "sidearm" heater and a standard electric hot water heater, or a flat plate HX if you put a small stainless or bronze body pump on the DHW side...

Do a search on "moving boiler" and you will see lots of advice and suggestions, mostly boiling down to getting some sort of heavy duty winch at the top, and lowering the boiler down on its back or side... One of the simplest was to take advantage of the local auto-wrecker's tow truck... Once you have the boiler on a solid surface, roll it using a bunch of short lengths of pipe - 3/4" Schedule 40 seems to work well... Note that this is a potentially DANGEROUS operation - if you aren't used to moving heavy items around, it may be worth calling around to find a "rigging company" that is used to moving industrial manufacturing equipment - I've heard they can do a typical "driveway to position in basement" move for just a few hundred $'s which can be worth it to get expertise in a specialized field, with insurance, and all that...

Gooserider

Josh, check your local codebook and your boilers instructions to find out what type manufactured chimney is required. Mine has to meet the Type HT requirements of UL 103. They sell that type double walled manufactured chimney at Lowes, or for a bit more, triple walled at TSC or Northern Supply. Got to meet code to satisfy your inspector and the insurance company, not to mention to keep from burning down your house.

Mike

dogwood said:
Josh, check your local codebook and your boilers instructions to find out what type manufactured chimney is required. Mine has to meet the Type HT requirements of UL 103. They sell that type double walled manufactured chimney at Lowes, or for a bit more, triple walled at TSC or Northern Supply. Got to meet code to satisfy your inspector and the insurance company, not to mention to keep from burning down your house.

Mike

Agreed, but Josh said he wanted to go into a chimney that had been used for an existing wood stove - Far as I know wood stove chimney meets the requirements you cite, so if it was good enough for the stove, it would be good enough for the boiler, with the one question being the flue diameter - many stoves use, and are installed w/ 6" while many boilers want 8" - so if the existing was 6" he'd need something in the manual saying that was OK...

Gooserider

The building code here, The IBC-International Building Code, differentiates the type and UL listing for chimneys for various uses, such as requiring UL 959 for "Medium Heat Appliances" with flue temps over 1000 degrees, the HT (high temp?) listing mentioned above, as well as other listings for differing applications such as factory built fireplaces etc. The old CABO code we used to use here, stated only that "factory built chimneys shall conform to the conditions of their listing and manufacturers instructions". Code requirements vary. Not knowing Josh's local code requirement, strictness of enforcement, and listing of his pre-existing chimney, would make me want to double check what I have against what is required in his locality. The existing double walled wood stove stacks and Class A chimney may very well meet the requirements of his stoves manufacturer and local code. On the other hand, if the regulations in his locality have changed since the original installation he may need an upgrade. No harm in checking even when you're likely OK.

I've been caught a couple times going by older codes and had to make changes to pass inspections. Who knew you could no longer put in incandescent closet lights or that smoke alarms had to be put both on the inside and outside of a bedroom door. Codes are a maze sometimes, change over time, and are often indecipherable at that.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.