Attention we are being watched and noticed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I feel this is important for all to know and realize, things said, have a much wider audience than one can imagine. Hearth.com receives over 2.5 million visitors a year.

Our site, meaning forum members and participants, is being viewed to a larger audience than the person’s post your respond to. It’s no accident, that we have forum members from major stove manufactures here. I also know, other major manufactures monitor our site. I recently received an e-mail that totally surprised me. It seems renewable energy sources and reduction of foreign imported fossil fuel, there is broader interest , both for politicians and news outlets. If anything becomes of this e-mail correspondence, I will post it here so far it was an inquiry. What I;m saying, do not be surprised, who is really behind the forum name. The next time a poster asks, should I purchase a wood stove or what is the best stove for my situation? It could be a test judgment as to the information response we give.

I would also hope, pissing wars cease and that we all try to put our best foot forward.

Don’t believe me then try this. Goggle roospike as see the number of hits one finds especially in welding forums but some are here. Goggle elkimmeg more evidence. If you goggle begreen you have to weed through a lot. Major search engines are picking up our post and content.

Forums are always somewhat difficult in terms of Signal to Noise ratio (meaning how much meat compared to how much BS).... That's why features like the Wiki, the regular articles and the Q and A are so important. Less noise, more signal.

Yes, google does a good job picking up all Hearth.com content. We are a "trusted" source due to the way google ranks sites. Consider that Hearth.com has been active for almost 12 years and that lots of sites point to it. Also, we contain the proper keywords. Doing a search on Free Flow Stoves (a 1978-79 model) for instance....we are one of maybe 2 sites that mention it.

So, yes, we are the big fish in a little pond (Hearth specialties) - or, as the Boss at Jotul always tells me "The NY Times of the Hearth" - I like the sound of that.

elkimmeg said:
... Goggle roospike ...
Thats a mouthfull. Sounds like a Tolkin character.

They say "all politics is local" hopefully 'energy' will someday be the same.

In the e-mail correspondence I had , I surprised the inquirer by telling him,it was not just for the guy in the back woods. I asked him to imagine biomass created pellets.
Take that one step further, we have biomass logs, that urban burners can use, that are cleaner burning than wood. That's right, they could be made from waste wood, switch grass or many other sources of bio mass. Cleaner expanded wood/pellet stove heat, can and is being expanded to more populated areas. The other day, one of our members ,supplied and installed a wood stove in the city of Philadelphia. Part of a donor program Hearth.com is trying to establish

Caveat, out of the weedpatch of Begreen links that come up with a Google search, very few are mine. However, I do agree that Begreen does have to weed a lot. I'll prolly be doing just that this weekend. :)

Great, once the politicians figure it out they will start taxing us on wood weather we buy it or not.
Harrrumph, harrrumph a house this size will burn an average of 3.5 cord per heating season, the tax rate on that will be ............Harrrumph, harrrumph

It will come one day for the guys making their own Bio-diesel as well, especially those who operate their own business as a friend of mine does.

I guess I had better shut up then. It would be kind of cool to see more factory rep participation etc. We did have some people from the pellet industry for a while but they seem to of faded away. I wonder why if they're watching they don't come to the defense of their product when it's getting bashed. I've seen almost every major brand complained about on this forum. I guess maybe they are defending their brands without identifying themselves. I really try to stay neutral but I find myself recommending & defending the product that I sell.

Makes sense Shane, it's what you are most familiar with. Please keep an active voice, I appreciate your POV. No stove is perfect, even a PE has some flaws.... (duck!)

babalu87 said:
It will come one day for the guys making their own Bio-diesel as well, especially those who operate their own business as a friend of mine does.

I'm not sure if road taxes are state or fed, but here in Missouri, I have heard there is a tax ($0.19/gal IIRC) on biodiesel made at home if it is burned in a vehicle that uses the roads.

jimkelt said:
Thank you for drawing attention to this. Just last night I was wishing that a pellet man. or two would take a peek here. ..
It is very reassuring that this is an active site. It is helpful for consumers, and dealers alike. It would be great if we could get more manufacturer participation (Mike H. does great but the more the merrier). It would be encouraging if it went beyond that, to a political crowd, as you say. It is our voice, and what better way to join forces and be heard.
I know there are a lot of woodies here but I do hope to interject some motivation for biomass as well. I think they are both good fuel sources and have a big place in the future of our energy consumption.'
Cheap shots, and negative campaigns don't help anyone! I also hope that we can work being positive, and be constructive if an issue does come up.

thanks jim:) i agree it would be nice if more manufacturers were in here , the dealers do a great job though! i do this for fun, as im sure most of us do. to be honest i dont know how many manufacturers post in here or have in the past, i was turned on to this site by one of my customers as well as the yahoo pellet users forum , i popped in to look around and have been happily LEARNING and posting away ever since. as for the infighting , i'd like to see it go away. the industry members who are in here are indeed professionals, and here to be helpful. in the short time i have frequented here i have not seen anyone actively pursuing a sale. that shows that they have all hearth consumers best interests at heart. admittedly questions may be raised about validity of a particular bit of advice or knowledge, when this occurs questioning it is not a bad thing. but do it in a professional manner. name calling is juvenile, it should stop.

elkimmeg said:

Sure enough. Toyotas and Isuzus too, and farther back Internationals. Though I tire of the automotive forums because I feel like I'm not learning as much. Here at Hearth I'm still learning and educating myself everyday. Not to mention the members here are interested in construction, renewable fuels and gardening, which makes Hearth really like hanging out in front of the fire with my buddys.

-Kevin

Thousands and thousands of hits form 3 or 4 poster?

(edit)
can anyone say OCD run amuck's

homefire said:
Thousands and thousands of hits form 3 or 4 poster?

can anyone OCD run amuck's

Ummm, not sure what you are getting at here. A thousand, two thousand or even five thousand hits resulting from forum posts is not that uncommon. I've seen folks on forums with 10,000 or more posts.

-Kevin

I need to change my name, or be more vocal. Google shane and all I get is "Come home Shane". Google Shane Flury & it asks me if I meant Shane Fleury. 900+ posts and google gives me an old Western & asks me if I've spelled my name wrong.

Me too. I have been Begreen since the mid-nineties, but there are evidently a whole lot of begreen networks out there. I guess that's a good thing, though I haven't looked into them yet. To cut through the chaff I had to try Begreen stove or Begreen Jotul. Funny, I tried Begreen Hearth, but it kept looking for Be Green Heart instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.