1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Attic insulation. Cost and decision?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by freddypd, Dec 13, 2012.

1. kingquad

kingquad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Unless you're talking about dense pack cellulose, that is not true. It's not as bad as fiberglass, but it doesn't act as an air barrier.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kingquad

kingquad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    There's a lot of good free info about this all over the web. The Finehomebuilding site is a good place to start. I'll also second the recommendation for the Bruce Harley book. I think every home owner should have a copy, even if you're not a DIY'er. Lots of very good info in there. Just make sure you get the second edition.
  3. Tramontana

Tramontana Member

Loc:
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    Technically you are correct, cellulose is not an air barrier, but it does slow air movement.

From the Greenbuildingadvisor;

Because of the fiber characteristics and high density of blown cellulose insulation (3 to 3.5 pcf compared to mineral wool or fiberglass batts at less than 1 pcf), it is very effective at preventing internal convection and has been recognized as an effective fire-stop by third-party testing and code officials. While it may not meet the strict requirements for an air barrier material (0.02 l/sec-m2 or 0.004 cfm/sf @75Pa), it will significantly enhance the air-resistance of an assembly over other fibrous cavity insulations, maintain its rated R-value by preventing internal convection and dramatically reduce the flammability of a building structure.
  4. johnny1720

johnny1720 Member

Loc:
    The Great North East
    I bought the atticat stuff from home depot, fluffy pink fiberglass blown in stuff. I paid about a grand to get 32 of the bags and a buddy helped me install it. It took two hours. I had a quote for 3k to spray foam my kitchen walls so I didnt even get a quote on the attic. I wished I could step back in time and get another quote on the foam. I could have bought the DIY spray foam kit and done my kitchen for $600 then put fiberglass over it. The atticat stuff is great but the foam is superior in so many ways.
  5. Shane N

Shane N Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Central MN
    Why did they quote you for open cell foam? I don't see any reason to use that instead of closed cell.