Auger Cut Off switch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

This is a 1995 Jamestown J2000 FS pellet stove. I replaced the vacuum switch and the auger still does not keep running after starting the fire with the gel. No igniter.

This auger cutoff switch seems to be faulty. Do the newer stoves have this switch?

Is it worth keeping?

Attachments

• IMG_2113.JPG
    IMG_2113.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2115.JPG
    IMG_2115.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_2116.JPG
    IMG_2116.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 163
You've not jumped it out and tested it? Looks like they allowed the motor to "float" and if the auger jamed it would twist the motor and shutoff to protect the gearbox.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
You've not jumped it out and tested it? Looks like they allowed the motor to "float" and if the auger jamed it would twist the motor and shutoff to protect the gearbox.
Hello John
Yes I believe you are correct about the design. If there is an Auger Jam then it will cut power to the auger. However there does not seem to be any way to adjust it or calibrate it so when the stove and parts age it can be tweaked to maintain it properly. At this point the stove kept shutting down so I jumped it out and now the stove runs fine!

the first pic, img_2113, the bolt stocking up to the micro switch, can't that be loosened making it shorter? a couple shims under the spring to stiffen it? Bend the bracket to where it needs to be?

If that motor does torque and trip the switch, is there a hard stop for the motor to bump against or is the only thing protecting the plastic switch the opening of the contacs and removing power? I'd want a hard stop. Sure looks as thou the motor will restart if the motor flexs back to a safe run spot, on/off/on/off, might clear the jam or might smoke the motor and switch.

I have a 90's j2000 not sure exactly what year . I've owned it for 7 years and that switch is driven by the vacuum switch in my stove . So the stove won't feed unless the combustion blower is on. Yours is the first one I've seen mounted on top of the anger motor .

I have a 90's j2000 not sure exactly what year . I've owned it for 7 years and that switch is driven by the vacuum switch in my stove . So the stove won't feed unless the combustion blower is on. Yours is the first one I've seen mounted on top of the anger motor .

Interesting
Looks like they tried different designs. The newer stoves do not have this switch so I just jumped it out. Stove works fine now!

Status
Not open for further replies.