Aurora Firebird Insert damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RLohman

Dec 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Hi all. New to Hearth.com. I just bought a house with an old insert installed. I have never had a fireplace, but plan on using this thing in the future.

I plan on having a sweep come out and look at the chimney and pulling the insert this summer to clean it up and retro fit it with a SS liner. In the mean time I would like to burn small fires occasionally in it.

There is supposed to be a key to open and close the flue. I don’t have that but an Allen wrench works. However, I don’t know what way to turn it to open/close. Does anyone have any idea?

Also, is there a way to check draft/ to make sure the flue is open? Was hoping to burn a piece of paper or something and be able to see that all of the smoke goes out the top instead of out the door. However, I read that the flue May need to heat up before it starts drafting.

DF0E7FD1-82A4-4392-BA64-494502494711.jpeg FCB71BE0-32C8-4666-A040-A34933DAF533.jpeg

The flue needs to be checked and possibly cleaned first. They make allen keys with handles on them that might work. Is there a baffle in the stove? If there's none in the way you may be able to stick your head in the firebox and see the damper open or close. Otherwise it may take removing the baffle to look.

Sounds like it's going to take some experimentation or just wait until the sweep pulls the insert. What is unknown is whether this is a damper or a bypass for easier starting. If it's the latter then there may be an opening behind the baffle.