Australia Inspire 2000 insert vs PE Neo 1.6 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lee_

May 13, 2023
Victoria, Australia
I've narrowed down to these two, and am wondering if there are any strong opinions either way.

I only have 430mm-480mm depth (shallower at top) so my options are limited.

The Neo looks larger but according to the manual only has 23186 BTU/h output, whereas the Osburn apparently has 75K?!? These must be different rating systems? Both claim to heat about 250m2.

The Neo is $3900, the Inspire $4700 (I'm in Australia).

Thanks

How big is the space you want to heat? I had the Neo 2.5 and it couldn't do the 160sqm I have to heat.

The Neo's fascia was rattly, the glass was always black and the fans are fairly noisy (I like quiet!).

However, it was a fairly decent performer, was easy to use and looked good. I liked that the fans kicked off only when the firebox was hot.

I have no experience with the Osburn. You would be best comparing the firebox size and fan setup.

I have now opted for a freestanding stove and sold the insert. Have blocked up the fireplace.

My advice would be to choose a freestander wherever possible.

How big is the space you want to heat? I had the Neo 2.5 and it couldn't do the 160sqm I have to heat.

The Neo's fascia was rattly, the glass was always black and the fans are fairly noisy (I like quiet!).

However, it was a fairly decent performer, was easy to use and looked good. I liked that the fans kicked off only when the firebox was hot.

I have no experience with the Osburn. You would be best comparing the firebox size and fan setup.

I have now opted for a freestanding stove and sold the insert. Have blocked up the fireplace.

My advice would be to choose a freestander wherever possible.
Thanks Tom, I corresponded with you on the Neo 2.5 on another thread. I think I can navigate rattles and noisy fans - maybe even swapping the fans out if it came to that.

My wife is insistent on an insert and I can't see a freestander fitting.

I have two fireplaces of similar size: 670mm H, 970mm W, 480mm deep but sloping forward as it goes up - 450mm at 500mm high, 430mm at 600mm high.

IMG_1371.jpeg

I turns out the measurements I was reading for the Inspire were incorrect - it won't fit.

So I'm down to the Neo 1.6!

Last edited:
Reactions: TomMcDonald
Sounds like a plan - Just make sure when you install you're mindful that that plaster board may need to be taken back a bit.

I've narrowed down to these two, and am wondering if there are any strong opinions either way.

I only have 430mm-480mm depth (shallower at top) so my options are limited.

The Neo looks larger but according to the manual only has 23186 BTU/h output, whereas the Osburn apparently has 75K?!? These must be different rating systems? Both claim to heat about 250m2.

The Neo is $3900, the Inspire $4700 (I'm in Australia).

Thanks
The output numbers are not the same because one is peak potential (rarely seen) and one is the tested output with a fixed load of wood. The Inspire is also a significantly larger insert. The Neo 2.5 is about the same size. The Inspire's EPA tested output is 14,200 BTU/h (4.16 kW) to 44,500 BTU/h. The Neo 2.5 peaks at around 85K BTUs/hr. and has an EPA tested output of 15,845 to 59,861 BTUs/h.

The Neo 1.6 has an EPA tested output of 13,494 to 23,186 BTUs/hr and the peak is around 56K BTU/hr.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm going to remove the plaster board completely.

The info on ratings makes sense - much appreciated.

I'm assuming the Neo 1.6 fans are rubbish given negative reviews I have read, e.g... https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/pacific-energy-neo-16.

I'm confident with electronics/electrical stuff. Are they a standard size such that they could be replaced with better ones with bearings?

And if the heat output is poor, would it be helped by running with the door open?

No clue. The specs look good.

Another option might be the True North insert.

This will fit - highly efficient and protrudes slightly, which will increase room heat. It also has a significantly larger firebox than the Neo.

Remember that you don’t have to install the surround. Some look better than others when you don’t install it. Here is a picture of mine without the surround. The liner is not covered by a piece of black chimney pipe.

0EFE726F-872E-4E74-8741-F9EEC2D2D648.jpeg

I saw that but couldn’t find many reviews of it. Any idea of quality?

I considered the wins18 and it looks well specced. But wife vetoed. I won’t rule it out though.

The ADF linea is looking like the best option. But their lame warranty gives me pause for thought.
Mate has the freestanding ecomaxx. It's not bad. Sheet metal door doesn't impress me but that's just preference.

Wins18 is better quality. I have its bigger freestanding brother and am totally impressed.

Warranty is a consideration, especially with an insert using fans, electronics, etc.

I watched a video on these. The door mechanism would get old very quickly for me.
Yes, agreed. I watched the same video. Might be the least worth option though and I could modify it. I will ask the distributor if the “german made fan” is brushless. That warranty is a problem though.

From what I can see the Ecomaxx seems to be locally owned, made in Canada, few sold, at risk of being unable to get parts in the future.

Would you take the wins18 over a tn20? I can always argue for an ugly duckling.

Yes, agreed. I watched the same video. Might be the least worth option though and I could modify it. I will ask the distributor if the “german made fan” is brushless. That warranty is a problem though.

From what I can see the Ecomaxx seems to be locally owned, made in Canada, few sold, at risk of being unable to get parts in the future.

Would you take the wins18 over a tn20? I can always argue for an ugly duckling.
You might be right about the Ecomaxx.

I would absolutely take the WINS over the True North. The efficiency of the WINS is quite a bit higher than the TN20 and emits fewer particulates. The warranty is better. The steel is thicker (although this may not actually matter). I haven't checked but I'm sure the prices are comparable.
I have had great experience with Pacific Energy's (and Pivot's) customer service and warranty though. No experience so far with the Heatilator/quadrafire warranty.
They are both ugly, but sometimes form has to follow function (wives often don't agree).

I'm not sure if you have been here, but I used this website a bit when deciding on stoves: https://australiansolidfueltesting.com/
If you click on compliance you can see the test results. This won't include all stoves in Australia, only stoves tested by this mob.
Click on the PDF for more accurate info, sometimes the listed numbers don't reflect the actual results.

Reactions: lee_
Confirming that the ADF fan is brushless. The firebricks are Vermiculite, as is the baffle. That handle will drive me nuts and their warranty that excludes "Glass, Refractory Firebricks, Door seal, Glass, Flame Grate, Paint", gives 2Y on electrics, only 5Y on the "equipment structure" has swayed me to the WINS18. Lobbying my wife...

I note that with the butt-ugly cast iron surround the Expedition II will fit. Perhaps I could get something fabricated to use instead...

Last edited:
Confirming that the ADF fan is brushless. The firebricks are Vermiculite, as is the baffle. That handle will drive me nuts and their warranty that excludes "Glass, Refractory Firebricks, Door seal, Glass, Flame Grate, Paint", gives 2Y on electrics, only 5Y on the "equipment structure" has swayed me to the WINS18. Lobbying my wife...

I note that with the butt-ugly cast iron surround the Expedition II will fit. Perhaps I could get something fabricated to use instead...
Looks like a nice stove. I don't mind the more ornate cast surrounds available for it. It has a nice big firebox.

How big is the house?

Big. 3 split levels. Maybe 300-350 sqm.

Unfortunately the Expedition II doesn't have air control. Some fairly negative posts on this forum.
Bugger.
I'd go for the biggest firebox you can stuff in there.