Australia Inspire 2000 insert vs PE Neo 1.6 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If I relax my no cat position... Just realised the Lopi Answer will fit. A NexGen Fyre Medium would overhang by around 30mm - perhaps a custom surround could work...
I have a 1.7 cu ft stove. It needs loaded every 3-5 hours. I recommend going as big as you can.

Last edited:
Reactions: lee_
Newsflash... It turns out that my shallow depth is due to my chimneys having 'rollbacks', and that these can be knocked out. I drilled through and have re-measured to a depth of 590mm. So most options will fit... Now looking at Neo 2.5 vs Osburn Inspire vs Lopi Flush Large. The Lopi looks great but is very expensive here (6.4K, 1.4K more than the other two @~5K for the base fire).

Nice. You'll need the biggest firebox you can get to heat your enormous house.
I would opt for something that sits proud of the bricks and has some radiant surface.
Have you considered the Alderlea? Still cheaper than the Lopi.

Nice. You'll need the biggest firebox you can get to heat your enormous house.
I would opt for something that sits proud of the bricks and has some radiant surface.
Have you considered the Alderlea? Still cheaper than the Lopi.
My wife barfed when she saw the Alderlea! The price on the Lopi is even worse than I thought as the fan is extra. I have looked at all three now. Will see what sort of prices I can get.

• Haha
Reactions: TomMcDonald
I think I'm down to the Neo vs the Lopi Flush.

Curious that according to the tests at https://m6m.2da.myftpupload.com/compliance/ the Neo significantly out-performs the Lopi Flush Large, but the Lopi seems larger and claims 12kW max avg in its manual:
  • Neo 2.5 Insert - 9.2kW max avg, 72% avg efficiency
  • Lopi Flush Large Insert - 7.7kW max avg, 62% avg efficiency
From what I can tell the use of block-off plates is unusual here. At least the few retailers I spoke with hadn't heard of this being done given that the units themselves are insulated.

Is this something you wouldn't bother with in a temperate climate?

I'll start a new thread with a few questions for Lopi Flush owners...

From what I can tell the use of block-off plates is unusual here. At least the few retailers I spoke with hadn't heard of this being done given that the units themselves are insulated.
It's good to remember that the retailers are not paying your fuel bill. A damper area sealing block-off plate traps more heat around the insert instead of it warming up the masonry for the full height of the chimney. It makes a notable improvement in heat output. That said, a block-off plate adds installation time and expense. Dealers want to keep the bid low and most installers want to be in and out quickly. The more jobs they get done in a day, the more money they make.

I think I'm down to the Neo vs the Lopi Flush.

Curious that according to the tests at https://m6m.2da.myftpupload.com/compliance/ the Neo significantly out-performs the Lopi Flush Large, but the Lopi seems larger and claims 12kW max avg in its manual:
  • Neo 2.5 Insert - 9.2kW max avg, 72% avg efficiency
  • Lopi Flush Large Insert - 7.7kW max avg, 62% avg efficiency

Is this something you wouldn't bother with in a temperate climate?

I'll start a new thread with a few questions for Lopi Flush owners...
Definitely do the block off plate. I'm in Canberra and did one with sheet steel and insulation above. You'll be losing a lot of heat to the bricks so minimising that where possible is a good investment.

Thanks. I will insist upon it. Any other commonly cut corners to look out for?

I.e. what would be needed besides flue, chimney plate, cap in a brick fireplace?

I imagine blockoff plate, insulation incl flue itself?

There are plenty of shortcuts that "could" be taken. Starting at the insert flue connection, the liner quality, forcing the liner due to a too tight fit, screwing at the attachment point instead of using a band clamp fitting, poor top cap fitment or sealing, etc.