Auto audjusting fans... Do they exist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarr

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2012
Southbury, CT
Hello,
The fans in my computer adjust their speed based on the temperature of the unit. It occurred to me that that type of control could be very useful for my Regency 2400 insert to keep a constant ratio of heat blowing out throughout the burn times.

I could not located a fan controller or unit that alters fan speed based on box temperature. At best I could find a switch between three speeds.

My question is does something like this exist for hearth fans or are there reasons they don't?
If they do exist, are they easy enough to modify into an existing insert or would you have to buy a model that comes with it already. I'm a good electrician so wiring the sensor to a fan shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks.

P.S. I've been trying to find the "EPA Hole" in my insert, so if anyone can guide me to its location and how to get there I'd appreciate it.

Good question. I can't recall seeing this on a stove, but it sounds like a nice idea as long as you could limit the upper speed. Many folks don't like being in the room when the blower is on high.

Reactions: chazcarr
If you cant find anything I would think it would be easy to make one and program it using one of those little cheap arduinos. I am going to make a smoker/meat controller with one that will utilize a variable speed blower. Same concept.

If you cant find anything I would think it would be easy to make one and program it using one of those little cheap arduinos. I am going to make a smoker/meat controller with one that will utilize a variable speed blower. Same concept.

Looked at it, but there isn't one to retrofit my stove. It is the general idea, but I just want a thermostat fan control.

Status
Not open for further replies.