automatic thermostat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acder

Nov 29, 2009
New York
Hi all- I have an Avalon arbor stove and am interested in setting it up with a remote thermostat like the skytek. I'm curious as to how exactly people use the thermostat. I would like to set it so that it turns the stove on when room temperature drops to a certain level. Can I use the thermostat to cycle the stove on and off between two temperatures, or will it basically just work as an on switch only? Any and all advice is welcome.

I have the skytech 3301p and use it as you would any programmable t-stat in the shoulder season I use it on/off set it at 70* runs until 71 shuts stove down and relights when heat is called for,in the colder months I just run hi/low stove runs until desired temp then drops down to low until heat is called for again.I'm not sure of the stat capability's of your stove but that's how mine works.

acder said:
Hi all- I have an Avalon arbor stove and am interested in setting it up with a remote thermostat like the skytek. I'm curious as to how exactly people use the thermostat. I would like to set it so that it turns the stove on when room temperature drops to a certain level. Can I use the thermostat to cycle the stove on and off between two temperatures, or will it basically just work as an on switch only? Any and all advice is welcome.
the travis units are one and off type thermostat operation.
when any kind of stat is not calling for heat a travis stove will going into a shut down mode and then shut off
when any kind of stat calls for heat then it will start it up.

you can get as fancy as you want with remote or thermostat controls all they need to do is open and close the thermostat circuit.
the 3301p skytec lets you set times of the day with different temperatures for each time. and you can have this different for each of the 7 days of the week.

you can even wire it into a smart home system then you can control your stove with a computer and some smart home setups you can turn on your stove from work via the internet or your cell phone.

hearthtools said:
acder said:
the travis units are one and off type thermostat operation.
when any kind of stat is not calling for heat a travis stove will going into a shut down mode and then shut off
when any kind of stat calls for heat then it will start it up.

you can get as fancy as you want with remote or thermostat controls all they need to do is open and close the thermostat circuit.
the 3301p skytec lets you set times of the day with different temperatures for each time. and you can have this different for each of the 7 days of the week.

you can even wire it into a smart home system then you can control your stove with a computer and some smart home setups you can turn on your stove from work via the internet or your cell phone.
Now that's cool!

you can do this with any pellet stove that has a ON and OFF thermostat setting

the thermostat connection is not rocket science all you need is a device that open and closed the low voltage circuit.

Wires together calling for heat.... wires apart not calling for heat.

I know there not rocket science and mine was simple to install,the part I thought was cool controling the stat from a computer or cell phone.I learn something new everyday.Thanks Rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.