AVALON 900

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AVALON 900 PS

Jan 7, 2011
CENTRAL NEW YORK
WE HAVE A AVALON MODEL 900 I THINK IT ABOUT 17 YEARS OLD (CAME WITH HOUSE) MOVED IT LAST SEPT TO PAINT,WAS WORKING FINE,DID NOT TIP OR PUT ON ITS SIDE JUST SLIDE ON FLOOR. NOW WHEN TURNING ON THE AUGER WILL NOT TURN,REMOVED THE MOTOR ,BENCH TEST,WORKS FINE,TURNED AUGER BY HAND,THAT WAS OK,JUMPED VACUME SWITCH,THAT DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM,CHECKED FOR BROKEN OR DAMAGED WIRES NONE FOUND.REPAIR MANUAL STATES MAYBE CONTROL BOX,REMOVED BOX,CHECKED FOR FUSE NONE FOUND,OPENED BOX LOOKS LIKE 2 SMALL TIMER/RELAYS INSIDE,IS THERE ANY WAY TO CHECK THEM, MANUAL STATES TRY NEW CONTROL BOX BUT AT $180.00 I WOULD LIKE TO TRY ANYTHING I CAN FIRST.
THANK YOU

AVALON 900 PS said:
WE HAVE A AVALON MODEL 900 I THINK IT ABOUT 17 YEARS OLD (CAME WITH HOUSE) MOVED IT LAST SEPT TO PAINT,WAS WORKING FINE,DID NOT TIP OR PUT ON ITS SIDE JUST SLIDE ON FLOOR. NOW WHEN TURNING ON THE AUGER WILL NOT TURN,REMOVED THE MOTOR ,BENCH TEST,WORKS FINE,TURNED AUGER BY HAND,THAT WAS OK,JUMPED VACUME SWITCH,THAT DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM,CHECKED FOR BROKEN OR DAMAGED WIRES NONE FOUND.REPAIR MANUAL STATES MAYBE CONTROL BOX,REMOVED BOX,CHECKED FOR FUSE NONE FOUND,OPENED BOX LOOKS LIKE 2 SMALL TIMER/RELAYS INSIDE,IS THERE ANY WAY TO CHECK THEM, MANUAL STATES TRY NEW CONTROL BOX BUT AT $180.00 I WOULD LIKE TO TRY ANYTHING I CAN FIRST.
THANK YOU

Is it a manual or auto light unit?

AVALON 900 PS said:
manual light,i think, we light it with a torch,dont see anything that would light it

Find the proof of fire sensor, I don't have a manual for that unit so that is about all I can tell you. That is where I'd start.

I'm assuming you put pellets in the burn pot, get them going, close the door and hit start.

If so the stove doesn't think there is a fire burning so it won't feed pellets to keep it burning.

SO PELLET STOVES HAVE A SENSOR NEAR OR IN THE FIRE BOX THAT TELL IT WHEN THERE IS A FIRE?. I DID NOT KNOW THAT. IS THERE A HOLE IN THE BOX OR IS IT HIDDEN BEHIND SOMETHING?, WERE WOULD I LOOK FOR THE SENSOR ?

AVALON 900 PS said:
SO PELLET STOVES HAVE A SENSOR NEAR OR IN THE FIRE BOX THAT TELL IT WHEN THERE IS A FIRE?. I DID NOT KNOW THAT. IS THERE A HOLE IN THE BOX OR IS IT HIDDEN BEHIND SOMETHING?, WERE WOULD I LOOK FOR THE SENSOR ?

There are two types of sensors in use, thermal, and light from the flame.

The thermal units are frequently mounted near the combustion blower and is normally a round ceramic unit, they close at a certain temperature and open if the temperature drops at least 20 degrees below their normal closing temperature.

Several things are tied to the sensor, normally one of these is the auger (the sensor gets bypassed by the auto ignition system in order to allow pellets to be feed) and the convection blower.

When the temperature drops far enough this sensor also stops the blowers on the stove.

The light sensing units are generally looking through a slit in the drop chute, the photo eye and in some cases a lens in the drop chute get dirty and need to be cleaned. These control the same things that the thermal snap discs do, just slightly different means. These are frequently located behind the drop chute near the hooper.

There is also an over fire/hi limit system that prevents the stove from feeding pellets if the temperature at certain spots exceeds a specific value. These switches, may be of two types, auto reseting or manual reseting. These open at temperatures starting at whatever the manufacture figures is too hot at particular points on the stove, frequently some place on the heat exchanger.

I prefer the manual reset units as then there is no question what stopped the stove.

It is also possible that if one of these switches is in bad physical shape, moving the stove could have caused it to open, this is likely a low probability occurrence. But please keep it in mind as a simple pressing of the reset button should reset it.

Status
Not open for further replies.