Avalon 996 questions-built by Travis Industries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bailenforcer

Sep 16, 2007
I know a little about this stove it was given to me 2 years ago. It shows almost no use and is in good condition.

I am moving into a two story barn style house of 900-1000 sq feet.

1, is the stove too big for this sized house

2. can it be used on second floor if its not too heavy

any suggestions I am disabled due to an accident and suffer massive nerve damage and until disability kicks in I am on a limited budget so I need ideas about stove vent stack and how I can do it with little money. I live where wood is not an issue.

Is this the Avalon 990? Never heard of an Avalon 99.

The manual for this stove is online:
http://www.manualsonline.com/mdownloads/d24c4e7e-4de8-4e85-8dd5-69e59e6d07c2.pdf

It looks like that is the PERFECT size stove for your house, and yes I am sure it can likely go upstairs or whatever! Will you be putting it in as a freestanding stove or an insert? If it's freestanding, you might want to make a second post on here about doing that well and safely on a budget and can get some help on placement, hearth pads, etc. GOod luck!

I have a 996 in my house the house is 2400 sq ft .It will keep the house at 63 all night in the winter.

Thank you

Is it pretty clean burning? Or is it a smoke belcher?

I am guessing then it will have no trouble with a house half that size and I found out this house I am moving to is around 1300 square feet counting both floors. So My guess is it's best on the first floor and heat will rise of course...

longhorns said:
I have a 996 in my house the house is 2400 sq ft .It will keep the house at 63 all night in the winter.

Yes my stove is on the frist floor of the house and the heat does rise up stairs... My stove burns clean with good wood ...

Thank You

I have plenty of oak and hard Maple here and after this last 3 days wind storm I have another cord of wood that has fell.

longhorns said:
Yes my stove is on the first floor of the house and the heat does rise up stairs... My stove burns clean with good wood ...

Dead fall that has been unsplit is often not seasoned. For good heat and clean burning the stove is going to want a good flue system and well seasoned wood.

I understand. I wouldn't use fresh fallen wood. I have a couple cords from may that I had to cut down and another couple cords from back in 2009. I have 5 acres of woods that I can get woods from and I also live in the Mackinac State forest of Michigan. So hard wood is plenty.

Thanks

BeGreen said:
Dead fall that has been unsplit is often not seasoned. For good heat and clean burning the stove is going to want a good flue system and well seasoned wood.

Great. Dry wood and a good flue should perform well with this stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.