Avalon AGP shutting down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rjr25

Feb 26, 2014
New Hampshire
Hey all, relatively new pellet stove owner here (only burned for around a month last season and all of this one so far). My stove is less than a year old and now that I am burning at a higher feed rate, my stove seems to want to shut down every 36-48 hours which is very inconvenient in this cold weather when its my primary source of heat. about to call my dealer to see what kind of warranty issue I have but wanted to get some ideas first.

Stove worked fine last season at its heaviest burning 2 bags a day. Early this winter has been fine, burning anywhere from 1/2 to a bag a day. Since Christmas when the cold temps have set it I have it burning almost 2 bags a day but now I am seeing the issue of shutting down every 2 days. When it does shut down, the Avalon just flashes a red light meaning failed combustion blow, auger, and something else. A simply push of the start button turns it back on and you are good for roughly 2 more days. When it does shut down everything seems to be fine (fan blowing, etc). Thought maybe I just needed a good cleaning which I did Sunday afternoon, and the stove ran fine until it shut down again last night (love waking up to a 56 degree house).

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue so regularly? I understand it may shut down here and there, but the regularness of it is concerning (and annoying for that matter). Thanks in advance

Well lets see ... have you followed everything the maintenance schedule outlined in this lovely little tome http://comfortsofhomeshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Lopi-AGP-Pellet-Stove-Owner-Manual.pdf calls for?

Sure sounds like it might be the attack of the ash devil or the invasion of the dust bunnies (crud in the works the #1 culprit in the pellet stove).

Yes my cleaning this past Sunday involved every maintenance in the manual and in just over 48 hours it again shut down. Cleaned everything, internal components are free of dust bunnies.

I never had the issue before until I started burning at a higher rate, it is common practice to get in there everyday to clean out the burn pot/fire platform? Nothing looks to be clogged and I am not noticing any clinkers but maybe a good wipe down with a brush everyday or something?

Is it possible that you pushed any crud from a area that you hadn't cleaned into an area that you did clean?

It isn't unknown to do such a thing especially when new to the stove and burning pellets..

Also the area between the combustion blower and the stove adapter has been known to be easily missed.

What did you use to clean the heat exchanger with and what kind of an exchanger does your stove have, I've known of people that have polished the tube portion of what they can see and do nada above the tubes or off the left side and the right side, sometimes on stoves with multiple staggered rows of tubes they miss the area between the rows. The end result is usually a blinking #2 led after the stove stops feeding and shuts down.

Cleaning is always ash driven, so yes burning more pellets which creates more ash usually leads to the need for more frequent cleaning. Note the bag usage mentioned in the tome.

Also without using a high air flow device during and at the end of brush work and so forth one leaves behind a certain amount of ash, over time this can block the small passages in the exhaust side of the stove.

Hey all, relatively new pellet stove owner here (only burned for around a month last season and all of this one so far). My stove is less than a year old and now that I am burning at a higher feed rate, my stove seems to want to shut down every 36-48 hours which is very inconvenient in this cold weather when its my primary source of heat. about to call my dealer to see what kind of warranty issue I have but wanted to get some ideas first.

Stove worked fine last season at its heaviest burning 2 bags a day. Early this winter has been fine, burning anywhere from 1/2 to a bag a day. Since Christmas when the cold temps have set it I have it burning almost 2 bags a day but now I am seeing the issue of shutting down every 2 days. When it does shut down, the Avalon just flashes a red light meaning failed combustion blow, auger, and something else. A simply push of the start button turns it back on and you are good for roughly 2 more days. When it does shut down everything seems to be fine (fan blowing, etc). Thought maybe I just needed a good cleaning which I did Sunday afternoon, and the stove ran fine until it shut down again last night (love waking up to a 56 degree house).

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue so regularly? I understand it may shut down here and there, but the regularness of it is concerning (and annoying for that matter). Thanks in advance
I have the same issue, did you ever find a solution ?

Lagger this thread is 3 yrs old. Try posting a new thread of what make model and yr of stove along with as detailed discription of the issue. I don’t know your stove i’m sure you will get some help.