Avalon Astoria High Limit Snap Disc does not have a manual reset?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I just noticed that the 200 Deg F Hi Limit Snap Disc on the Avalon Astoria Hopper does NOT have a manual reset button.

Is this a good idea? Any comments? See pics and wire diagram below.

Attachments

• 2581(AvalonPelletStoveWireDiagram).pdf
    79.3 KB · Views: 607
  • AvalonAstoriaWireDiagram.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaWireDiagram.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,492
  • IMG02793-20120628-1535.jpg
    IMG02793-20120628-1535.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 871
Gut feeling - it's not a good idea. I'd want to know when and if my stove overheated. Perhaps that switch was replaced by someone who didn't bother getting the correct one.

Maybe the control board shuts down and needs to be reset on an overheat. The manual should mention that, if so.

The stove was purchased new, so that is the way it came.
No problems with overheating for 3 years so far.

Not sure if the control board would shut down?

Probably not a good idea since an overfire usually needs some attention to make it right, Like cleaning the stove or in a hopper fire to replace some parts!

If you get to burning the stove one of these days, you could try disconnecting the switch to see what happens; in other words, simulate an overheat condition while it's burning.
Looks like we may have to wait until fall to find out...

If you get to burning the stove one of these days, you could try disconnecting the switch to see what happens; in other words, simulate an overheat condition while it's burning.
Looks like we may have to wait until fall to find out...

Good idea! I was thinking the very same thing. I will put it on my fall todo list!

Some stoves will stop the pellet feed until the temperature the hi limit sees is below its limit or alternatively they'll run the convection fan at full speed. I am not a fan of the engage fan method it can lead to problems if the fan fails. The other method is fine. I prefer knowing it is overheating so I'm a fan of manual reset hi limits.

Some stoves will stop the pellet feed until the temperature the hi limit sees is below its limit or alternatively they'll run the convection fan at full speed. I am not a fan of the engage fan method it can lead to problems if the fan fails. The other method is fine. I prefer knowing it is overheating so I'm a fan of manual reset hi limits.

My old Englander is this way ;) I admit I have tested and hit it a couple times. The top auger quits working and when the temp drops, the top auger will start again. But Englanders do not utilize snap discs. They use a thermal temp sensor? (Or something,/ I know its not a snap disc!).

I would rather have the manual reset also. I want the unit shut down if its gonna be firing at a dangerous rate.....

C'mon, Don2222, you're gonna make us wait until fall to find out how it works? !!!

My old Englander is this way ;) I admit I have tested and hit it a couple times. The top auger quits working and when the temp drops, the top auger will start again. But Englanders do not utilize snap discs. They use a thermal temp sensor? (Or something,/ I know its not a snap disc!).

I would rather have the manual reset also. I want the unit shut down if its gonna be firing at a dangerous rate.....

Hi Dexter

The heat sensor is in that white jacket that goes from the control board to the back of the fire box!

PU-CBHS Control Board Heat Sensor (1 lb. each)
$17.04
Heat Sensor for Control Board (the white-covered wire shown in photo). For PU-CB98 or PU-CB04 control boards (used on all pellet stoves manufactured 1998 or later)

Attachments

• ESWheatgsensor.jpg
    ESWheatgsensor.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 374
Its longer than 98....... Then again, my old stove goes by US 25-5670 (all the same parts and #'s as the old 25-PDV's)... Which is pre 98 and has that same white cord (still used in my new 10-CPM).

Status
Not open for further replies.