1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Avalon Olympic Insert

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Doody, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doody

Doody New Member

Loc:
    USA
    Long time reader, first time poster!

LOVED this site when I was shopping for my first wood stove. I ended up purchasing an Avalon Olympic Insert, which was just recently installed. I wanted to post a few pics to hopefully help out the next guy!

I wanted to go for a Summit or the like, but unless i wanted to take chisel to stone, it just wasn't gonna fit. As it turned out, the Olympic works great for heating the den/basement floor plus about 60% of the floor above (the ceiling is open to the entryway/kitchen/dining/living rooms).

The chimney is fully lined. I opted for no surround because I thought it would be butt-ugly against the stone. It has the blower option, as you can see. I removed the gold strip that runs along the below-the-door extension that the blower sits under (just a few screws). I also took my heat-friendly black spray paint to the logo at the top right of the stove - I wanted simple solid black as much as I could get it. We had to swap the power cord for the blower from factory default right to left - not a big deal, as it's all pre-configured for either side.

VERY happy owner! Damn solid construction - quite impressive. Though I'm awfully glad I don't install these things for a living - ouch!

Comments about blower noise are not irrational, but perhaps over-stated. I found I had to improvise (binder clips, believe it or not) some supports below the blower to keep it snugged up against the below-the-door shelf. It was "rattle-y" before that. At full-tilt blow (it's a variable speed knob setup) it's not quiet, but I find that at 90% down to 80% of the speed scale, it's a totally acceptable volume that is steady, low, and easy to tune-out.

Always happy to answer questions - don't hesitate to email me mr_doody AT yahoo DOT com.

Thanks again everybody - Hearth.com was INVALUABLE in doing my research!

Doody.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. InTheRockies

InTheRockies New Member

Loc:
    Northern US Rockies
    Beautiful stove and hearth. I know what will be your favorite room in the house this winter. Enjoy.
  3. mskif

mskif Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Very nice stove and hearth! It also looks like a wonderful room with the large windows. I have the same thermometer on my Regency I2400 insert... and in the same location. I have a surround so my pipe is not exposed. I would be interested to know the how the door and pipe temperatures relate if you ever get the chance. Enjoy the new stove!
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Gorgeous...and might I add a big "Howdy, Doody!". (Hey, I grew up with that knothead, what can I say?) Rick
  5. btj1031

btj1031 New Member

Loc:
    NH
    Nice job, beautiful fireplace and stove. Is there a block-off plate above the stove to block heat from going up the chimney? If there isn't, one will help you keep more heat in the house.
  6. Doody

Doody New Member

Loc:
    USA
    Yup. Sealed at the top and block-off at the bottom.

Thx!
    Doody
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    I like it alot. Sweet!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.