Avalon Olympic vs. Lopi Freeedom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12pack

Aug 3, 2012
Westchester County N.Y.
Been reading for over a year but just joined.

My wife and I spent the day shopping for inserts and went to 4 different stores. Been researching for awhile.

I have loved the Jotul Rockland 550 insert and had my wife convinced (until today). Then she and I both fell in love with the Lopi Cape Cod insert.

Then after speaking with a salesman for awhile he turned my wife onto the Avalon Olympic and the Lopi Freedom.

I had previously wanted something w/o a surround as my existing brick/masonry fireplace in our 1912 Sears kit house has beautiful ornamental dental work. My wife did not want the “wood stove stuffed in a fireplace” look. But has since changed her mind. Which is good because we will save over a thousand bucks.

Looks like we are going with the Olympic or the Freedom w/o a surround in black. We both like the Olympic but I have concerns that the door does not open more than 90deg. The store did not have the Freedom in stock but told us the door opened up more on that model than the Olympic. My wife prefers the door “style” on the Olympic over the Freedom. I know they are basically the same stove/insert.

Anyway……, any discussion on these two inserts would be appreciated before we take the plunge.

Yes, the Freedom door will open all the way. In my opinion, the door on the olympic feels very lite and kinda cheap compared to the Freedom. I don't see anyway around putting a surround on the Freedom, it's very "unfinished" on the back half.

I have an Avalon 1190 Insert and I never bothered me that the door at a 90 angle. I have a 1200 sq ft house and it keeps us warm all winter in the Houston area. The only gripe I have that you can’t get parts from Lopi, you need get your parts from the dealer and you wait for at least two weeks to get the parts after you order them.

With that, I have only replaced the gaskets, the burn tubes and the baffles and the reason I replaced those parts was I got it used and I am a little anal and I wanted an ‘as new’ stove.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.