Avalon VS Harmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
My friend is ready to replace his gas stove with a pellet.

He already has a harmon cole stove so he is very partial to Harmon products. I have a Avalon so I am very partial to them. Between the two of us we cannot decide which stove would be best for him. Avalon has a local dealer where as the Harmon dealer is quite a distance away. So we are asking you folks for a impartial comparison between two of the smaller units. heats up to 1500 SQF. Like the P43 and the Newport. Also compare prices if we can.

Thanks!

He just found a 2 year old Harmon XXV on craigslist with pad for $1200 I am researching now. What do you guys think of the xxv and that price?

I think thats a steal personally. The XXV is a very nice unit. Quiet, good top end output, stay cool on the top (relatively speaking), mirror glass so no one knows you didn't clean it all summer. As long as the machine was treated well that is a super excellent price IMO.

Hello

My case was the same. The Avalon dealer was very close to me so I went with an Avalon Astoria. With the 10% off summer sale, $1500 Tax Credit and $400 for my VC Federal Duchwest Wood Stove it was only $1700 brand new! I really like the 115 lb hopper that does not need filling every day. The reliability and quality is excellent. The only drawback I can see is that some of the Harmans can go longer without cleaning. The Avalon is made by Travis Industries which also make the Lopi pellet stoves. Look closely not much difference folks! LOL Anyway, one major difference is the Avalon can use a regular setback thermostat and the Harman's use a special room temperature probe!

So do your research and I am sure you will be happy with your decision.

Used Astoria on Ebay.
http://compare.ebay.com/avalon-astoria-pellet-corn-stove/like/250679946487

See my Avalon Astoria below with Candles on Mantel and Rope light all around!

Attachments

• Avalon VS Harmon
    PelStoveWithRopeLightscale2.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 757
So we were on our way to pick up the stove when the owner called and said it had sold. It was on Craigslist for 2 hours... Now My friend has narrowed his focus to a multi fuel stove. Any opinions on the best Multi Fuel? he is again partial to Harmon.

Harman has the PC45 and would need to purchase the pellet burnpot.

Enviro is making some killer multifuelers and have been doing very well with them. There new M55 cast has good looks along with great features.

The Harman PC45 is a multi fuel stove with 45,000 btu. The extra kit for burning pellets will kick the btu output up to 50,000. Having said that you don't need the kit to burn pellets. The kit basically is a different burning pot and a different plate that fits in front of the exhaust fan. Then you can change the dip switches to burn pellets better.
If you burn good pellets you can burn up to a ton of pellets before you have to empty the ash bucket.
The PC45 has auto ignition, can be run in room temp mode or stove temp mode.
I have been helping close out a Harman dealership due to the owners death and we have two new PC45s left. These are on pallets in cardboard boxes. With the pellet kit included I will sell them for 2,000 dollars plus tax and shipping.
With the gov giving the rebate on your taxes this 2,000 becomes 1420.00$. Not a bad investment.

j-takeman said:
A new PC45 for 2K is a STEAL of a deal. I am surprised you have any left to sell!

X2! though I do suggest the pellet burnpot with the combustion plate if you are going to be burning pellets full time. The combustion plate increases the velocity of the airflow through the pot. YOu can still burn pellets fine in the default pot, but better in the other. The PC45 is a tinkerers dream IMO. You wanna try Almond shells (pronounced Ahmonds in CA, cuz they beat the "L" out of em', little something my left coast friends told me) go for it. Cherry pits, oats, finger bones, chicken beaks....you name it. I will however be trying chicken beaks in the Enviro Multi stoves soon.

today we looked at avalon and cumberland. He likes the style of the newport avalon but it does burn the corn pellet mix. He hated the look of the cumberland. We will be shopping again next weekend I know we should look at enviro and other multi fuel manufacturers?

rona said:
The Harman PC45 is a multi fuel stove with 45,000 btu. The extra kit for burning pellets will kick the btu output up to 50,000. Having said that you don't need the kit to burn pellets. The kit basically is a different burning pot and a different plate that fits in front of the exhaust fan. Then you can change the dip switches to burn pellets better.
If you burn good pellets you can burn up to a ton of pellets before you have to empty the ash bucket.
The PC45 has auto ignition, can be run in room temp mode or stove temp mode.
I have been helping close out a Harman dealership due to the owners death and we have two new PC45s left. These are on pallets in cardboard boxes. With the pellet kit included I will sell them for 2,000 dollars plus tax and shipping.
With the gov giving the rebate on your taxes this 2,000 becomes 1420.00$. Not a bad investment.

+1... the pellet pot is not needed to burn pellets in that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.