Average cruising temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ours seems to usually run at 500-650 so far this year. Though it seems like when it gets really cold out, we have a hard time breaking 500 even though that's when I want it the hottest.

oldspark said:
Backwoods Savage said:
This time of year I try to not go much over 500 but is easy to reach 600. When it gets cold then we'll start off around 650-680 stove top.
I thought it was cold in Mich. :lol:, 26 below wind chill this morning but wind was out of the NW so all is good. Cruise temp (with out fan) on summit is about 600, no matter what I do it always heads there give or take about 50 degrees.

We've been pretty lucky so far. Please do not rush sending those temperatures our way.

Last night it was 10 degrees here, so I stoked up the stove a bit more than I had before (just had it for a week). I had it up to about 650 on the stove top. I had the primary air control all the way closed and it was still climbing for a while, but it settled in at about 700 for quite a while. It made the house nice and toasty.

I’ve been comparing the total area of the holes in the four secondary burn tubes in the Englander 30NC that everyone loves so much to the area of the secondary burn tube holes in the Performer and there is quite a bit less area (number of holes times the area of each hole) in the Vogelzang. The arrangement of the secondary tubes is very similar between the two, and I’d assume that this means that there is more secondary tube air flow in the 30NC. Don't a lot of 30NC owners wish they could close their stove off more than the adjustments allow and they put magnets over the air intake holes to try and further close their stoves down? On the Performer unless you get it really hot it seems like the air control is usually 1/2 way open or more, so no problem with too much air. I considered increasing the diameter of the secondary tube holes to try and match the 30NC. I don’t think I’d do them all at once. The back row is the most constricted compared to the 30NC; I’d probably start there. But after last night and having it hot and closed down all the way and still getting hotter for a while I think I’ll leave it alone and get more experience with it. I got this thing to heat during the cold part of the winter, and if it likes to burn hot then that is great with me. I very much doubt the 120K BTU claim, but my main level and second floor are about 2400 sqft together and it was keeping us warm last night without the furnace running at all until early morning. If they claim it'll put out 120K BTUs from a 2.2 cuft firebox, then they must intend for you to burn it hot.

I know Vogelzang's are chinese made crap, but I couldn't beat the price ($699 on sale at Menards) and couldn't really afford more right now along with the cost of the venting supplies, and so far I'm really very happy with it. I really wanted an Osburn 2400 insert but just couldn't swing it. Caveman TV is the best! Unlike regular TV the viewer has control of the outcome!

My lopi liberty usually cruises anywhere from 600 to 750. It varies alot. 2 hours ago I loaded 2 splits of maple that was split in october and a oak split from last years wood and it went up to 740 and SLOWLY started to come down. Either maple drys very fast or my stove can burn green wood.

Todd said:
Something else to think about. Your Fireview can get super high stove top temps like 600-700 with no flame at all just because the cat sits right under the lid and will gorge itself on the smoke and burn hot as hell. Other times you can have a good box fire with lots of flame and the stove top will only be around 500 or so but be putting out much more heat. Stove top temps don't always tell the whole story.

Very good post about cat stoves..right on!

Ok..on a 24 hour burn in weather like this..fairly warm...the majority of the time I'm seeing 300-350 stove top...sides maybe 250.
That's about as low as she will burn on 3/4 load..maybe 30-35 hours on a really full load.
The warmer it is it seems to burn slower at the same setting...1 or under.

I'll second everything Pen is saying.
I load the Lopi full three times a day and usually let it get to about 800 before I start shutting it down.
My stove loves it 700-750. Last winter had a chimney sweep come out at a time I couldn't sweep my chimney myself.
He said I need to burn hotter, he suggested keeping it north of 550 as much as I could, so now I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.