average price for a cord???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
Just trying to figure out what a average rate is for a cord?? Know this will vary greatly but just want to get a idea- Thanks

Around here 150-250 Just depends what it is...Hickory and Apple for smokers is the 250.00 stuff.

Oak, Ash, Maple mix around here is usually 190 a cord split and delivered.

Shawn

Around here I see $45-$55 for a face cord. Some is a delivered price and some are not delivery included. Today on my bike ride I saw a fellow had some good dry oak for sale at $45.

I have not seen anyone selling wood by the cord here although they all call their face cords as a cord of wood. Makes no sense.

ash, maple, oak and cherry $150 for a cord here in nepa..split and delivered...a bit extra for stacking...not sure how much...me and the Mr. stack it...

Around here cord $225-275

Backwoods, $45-55 a face cord is a great price, cut/split/delivered. I am buying hardwood tops around here for $25-40 a face cord (hard Maple).
Nobody sells wood by the "cord" here, it's by the face cord, 4' H X 16" L X 8' Wide.

The local firewood dealer sells his wood at 200 a cord. Most others at 40-60 a face cord. The local Amish a mile down the road sell for 135 a cord all hardwood.

im pickign up face cord for 60 even cut and split and dried two years old to 6-9% moisture content. This is hardwood. I have to go get it. I cut my own wood but can never get ahead, so im buying 10-20 cord of this stuff so later this summer, when in the woods cutting for myself, I will be cutting for the 2012-2013 season, as I should be! Im here in upstate ny, were feul price are outragious.

barkeatr

So I use this website to calculate a cord
http://www.maine.gov/ag/firewood.html

So for a little over a cord split but not delivered I am paying about $80 a cord - seems okay with me from the prices I am seeing - and basically what I am using to measure is this website

Pretty much been $165-180 since we moved here almost 5 years ago. C/S/D, all oak, but not dry.
My brother's been getting his c/s/d from a guy he knows for about $150/cord, mostly oak and it looks pretty dry. Go figure.
I get my log loads for $75 cord, min. is 10 cord. Next load is liable to be higher.

mainstation said:
Backwoods, $45-55 a face cord is a great price, cut/split/delivered. I am buying hardwood tops around here for $25-40 a face cord (hard Maple).
Nobody sells wood by the "cord" here, it's by the face cord, 4' H X 16" L X 8' Wide.

You are right there! A few years ago it was going for $60 and higher but now with the glut of dead ash the prices have fell big time.

There's a big swing here. Craigs list will get you green for $100 per full cord, you pick up. $150 delivered, last I looked. I pay between $150 - $190, usually, less for pine. I've 2 local guys who have wood that's pretty much seasoned.

Backwoods Savage said:
Around here I see $45-$55 for a face cord. Some is a delivered price and some are not delivery included.

X2, pretty much the same thing I see here.

$50-$65 per face cord of Oak csd around here, the dry stuff is on the high end but you can find some better deals for rounds or logs.

I'm on long island so basically what eileen said is exactly the case, except I recently found a guy who delivers $100/cord s/d green all hardwoods. Good guy. I bought 2 cords like a month ago. Great wood source.

kayakkeith said:
So I use this website to calculate a cord
http://www.maine.gov/ag/firewood.html

So for a little over a cord split but not delivered I am paying about $80 a cord - seems okay with me from the prices I am seeing - and basically what I am using to measure is this website

I'll deliver and stack it for $400 cord. Want me to swing by Monday?

I am still trying to figure out if what I am getting is a full cord or what they call a face cord - again that website I am using is basically saying I am getting a little over a cord. Thats my 8ft bed pick up truck packed with wood and just a little higher then the top.

I was thinking what I was getting it for I was going to call you and offer a load for $300 and just throw it in a pile in your street....

Oh by the way Warren did a killer set at All Good - I was there for two of the days - Jon Butler Trio also did a killer show - better then Further as that Dead stuff just doesnt rock enough for me

Wow. I can't get over some of the prices! I wish I lived in the land of cheap wood that some of you seem to be in...

Around here, hardwood sells for $250 a cord c/s/d. Softwood sells for $130-$150 or so. And I know of a few guys who sell softwood for $250 a cord c/s/d. One day I asked a few of them " You realize that there is not near the same amount of BTUs in softwood as hardwood and yet you sell them the same price" Their replies " Softwood takes a heck of a lot more time to c/s than hardwood with all the branches". I gotta admit that he is right. Hence why they charge the same price for hardwood or softwood. Now the question is, who is foolish enough to buy a cord of softwood from them!?

Andrew

Kayak Keith: a face cord is 42.6 cubic feet (1.3X4X8) and a full cord is 3 times this (4X4X8) which gives 128 cubic feet including air gaps.
Hope this helps!

Andrew

$200/cord for Pine. $350 for Almond or Oak. And delivery is extra.

This is why I scrounge.

kayakkeith said:
Just trying to figure out what a average rate is for a cord?? Know this will vary greatly but just want to get a idea- Thanks

I sell split hardwood delivered for $75 per face cord or 210 per cord if you purchase 2 or more.

$45 is the going rate for 1/3 cord (rick, facecord) of hardwood delivered.

SW Ohio is going for around $150/cord.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.