Awkward conversation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2007
So my oil guy called today and left me a voicemail basically asking why my last delivery was only 25 gallons. He legitimately was concerned that something wasn't right and the tank wasn't actually full. I called back and explained that I was simply burning a lot of wood this year and that everything was fine. He was good natured about it, but I still feel a little bad. They're a small family owned company that's been in business for nearly 70 years in our area. When we first moved in two years ago (before I installed the add-on furnace) I knew nothing about oil heat having grown up in a natural gas household. Also, we moved in June so I didn't really give the furnace a second thought after the home inspector gave it a clean bill of health as I had a million other things going on. I got a letter from the owner of the company (with a real signature) shortly thereafter saying they heard that the original owner had moved and that they had been servicing the home. I called and talked with them about topping off the tank and sending information about their automatic fill plans and maintenance contracts. I never signed up for a maintenance contract because it got lost in the shuffle.

Fast forward to early November I was in D.C. for work and my wife called saying she had just gotten home and it was 60 degrees in the house and 31 outside. I called the company and explained that I had never signed a maintenance contract, but could they please come out ASAP and fix it whatever the cost and then we would get signed up. They allowed me to pick a plan right then and there and the job only cost me the parts-no labor. The tech was there within 20 minutes and the house was up to 72 within the hour. Like I said, it's a family owned and operated company and it shows. Their techs are knowledgeable, friendly, and always on time too. To contrast, my neighbor has Suburban Propane and has to deal with customer service people on the phone outsourced to god-knows-where, surly delivery guys, and poor service. I wouldn't give it a second thought if I was sticking it to them. Don't think I'm going to be quitting burning wood anytime soon though. I know that there are plenty of other folks out there who pass right by those piles of wood on the side of the road that I covet, and I'll still use the company for servicing the oil furnace. There is still this small part of me that feels guilty that I'm not giving a local small business much of my business anymore though-I think I'm going to call this feeling "wood burner's remorse." ;)

At least it shows you have some character and still appreciate the diminishing family owned small businesses in your area. You could help them out simply by telling folks the tale of good service, and maybe help find them new customers.

Badfish740 said:
my wife called saying she had just gotten home and it was 60 degrees in the house and 31 outside.

I laughed at that part. Before we installed stoves that was the average temperature I would keep the house... and we would still go through at least 1,200-ish gallons.

BrowningBAR said:
Badfish740 said:
my wife called saying she had just gotten home and it was 60 degrees in the house and 31 outside.

I laughed at that part. Before we installed stoves that was the average temperature I would keep the house... and we would still go through at least 1,200-ish gallons.

No kidding. Early on in my marriage I think I would have told my wife, "Yah, so?" After 15 years though I've learned it is no fun coming home to a cold wife.

Franks said:
At least it shows you have some character and still appreciate the diminishing family owned small businesses in your area. You could help them out simply by telling folks the tale of good service, and maybe help find them new customers.

Trust me, I count myself lucky to live in a rural area where we still HAVE small family owned businesses. I do go to Lowes for things now and then, but when it comes to large projects like all of the new trim and doors for my house and the materials for finishing my basement, I go to the local lumberyard. It's probably one of the only "old school" lumberyards left in New Jersey where you can get practically any kind of molding, stock, or dimensional lumber-and they don't stock it they know exactly where to order it from. I do try to promote the company whenever anyone brings up the subject of oil heat though, mostly because when people bring it up in conversation it's to talk about how they got the shaft from the company they're using!

Know just how you feel.

I have supported family run businesses in our area since we moved here 20 years ago. Sadly many have closed up due to the economy. Very hard to see but I had to come to the realization that I alone was not the cause and that no matter how much I spent in their stores etc...it just wasn't enough to keep them going.....

I had an attitude about the stores that were responsible for their demise and I had to get over that and not take it out on the employees. They are just there doing their jobs the best they can despite the heavy corporate hand held over them.

I have found many 'gems' working in those stores since then which has helped a lot BUT I still do miss the little guys....

Around here the small oil companies are being bought out by the big boys.

Franks said:

A good reference is huge!

I got one of those calls a few years back, too, although I wish it was over as small an amount. They were just glad I hadn't bought oil elsewhere, and if I had please allow them to try to match thier price or service.

You can always support the small business owner who sells chainsaws and splitters instead of going to a box store. It should ease your conscience.

We were on oil until it skyrocketed in price. We used a family business that was later bought out. I was at their office one afternoon buying parts when the phone rang for a quote. They quoted a number to the caller. Then a different line rang and they said "Probably the same caller." Then looking at me: "I'll add a few cents." They answered with another companies name (the old one) and quoted a few cents higher. The original line rang again and they took an order.

I looked at the two in astonishment and one said that when the old company was bought, the seller made a deal that he gets two cents a gallon for the first year, so we just add it to the quotes! They kept the separate business names and yellow page ads for quite a while.

- Bill

I've had some really good experiences at the MomnPops, but bad as well. In the old days, I felt like a second class citizen in hardware/lumber stores since I wasn't a contractor. Same for auto parts -- like the lumber yards, they jacked prices high for homeowners. Home Depot and chain auto stores cleared that up. The big ones also have better return policies in general.

That said, I've got great service and advice from the little guys. I've also bartered for materials right in the store. A co-worker of mine saw me do this one Saturday and said he was unaware that stock prices were negotiable.

Our little corner mart would sell beer to any kid that flashed a buck.

- Bill

Franks said:

Well said Franks!!

Contrary to your name Badfish, you are a good man! Your oil guy did do you a favor by giving you the maintenance agreement after the fact. Go down and see him and offer to pay for the service call labor -- because you feel bad that you aren't using oil like you used to. Explain that to him. If he accepts payment that is fair and you will feel better. If he won't accept payment you will still feel better having offered it.

Regardless, you and your oil guy are the right kind of people, the kind I like to deal with.

davidv said:
You can always support the small business owner who sells chainsaws and splitters instead of going to a box store. It should ease your conscience.

My chainsaw guy is the only place for miles where you can buy non safety chain and pretty much everything else the big boxes don't carry. He also got my free McCulloch 610 running for less than $60! He serves all of the local tree companies and rents splitters dirt cheap.

Bill_in_CV said:
I've had some really good experiences at the MomnPops, but bad as well. In the old days, I felt like a second class citizen in hardware/lumber stores since I wasn't a contractor. Same for auto parts -- like the lumber yards, they jacked prices high for homeowners. Home Depot and chain auto stores cleared that up. The big ones also have better return policies in general.

I see what you're saying and I've dealt with the same issue at times. The problem is that the contractors have become the last bread and butter of some local lumberyards because the contractors don't want to deal with the folks at the big box places, so service to the little guy suffers which stinks. Same deal with a lot of the small auto parts dealers-the better shops give them lots of business because they know that they'll get it right the first time unlike AutoZone and the rest. There's nothing worse than going to a parts counter at a chain store and dealing with a kid barely over 17 who thinks he's ASE certified because he once put a fart can on a Honda Civic.

Badfish740 said:
To contrast, my neighbor has Suburban Propane and has to deal with customer service people on the phone outsourced to god-knows-where, surly delivery guys, and poor service.

Our propane is from Suburban and while we barely use it, they've always treated us in a professional and timely manner, especially when we first bought the home and relied on them for heat those first few months. While I agree it pays and is nice to help others, I feel we need to prioritize and take care of our own families first. Don't feel bad that you're saving money and staying warm.

Well I hate to say it, but I don't feel that bad about not handing over a decent amount of my paycheck to pay for oil . . . even though I know the high price is not the fault of the local company and I too like and use the company . . . it's part and parcel of doing business . . . and I can only imagine that I'm one of many who are now using less oil since the price skyrocketed last year.

That said, I understand the feelings Badfish . . . you hate to seem like you did not appreciate what the company did and so here are my suggestions . . . win-win situations for you and the company.

1) As you mentioned, let the company know you intend to still have them service your heating system and provide oil . . . sure, it may not be a huge area of profit for them, but it shows that you still value their company and high level of service and they will profit some from you . . . on their side, they may figure that you may be one of those folks who may eventually get tired of wood and return to burning only oil and so if they can keep you as a customer in the long run they may end up doing pretty well.

2) If your friends, family or co-workers ask, you can mention this company and mention how pleased you are with them. Advertising is great . . . word of mouth however in small communities with locally owned companies however is what often causes such a company to flourish or fail . . . and the one thing you cannot buy is word of mouth advertising and testimonials . . .

3) Write a letter. It may sound stupid, but I would almost guarantee you that you would make this owner's day by sending him a simple heart-felt letter thanking him for his past service, mentioning the high level of professionalism and that you intend to stick with this company . . . albeit on a smaller scale due to the fact you are now using the woodstove more often. Profits are great . . . sometimes just knowing that the work you are doing is sincerely appreciated by another person and is valued means a lot more.

firefighterjake said:
Well I hate to say it, but I don't feel that bad about not handing over a decent amount of my paycheck to pay for oil . . . even though I know the high price is not the fault of the local company and I too like and use the company . . . it's part and parcel of doing business . . . and I can only imagine that I'm one of many who are now using less oil since the price skyrocketed last year.

That said, I understand the feelings Badfish . . . you hate to seem like you did not appreciate what the company did and so here are my suggestions . . . win-win situations for you and the company.

1) As you mentioned, let the company know you intend to still have them service your heating system and provide oil . . . sure, it may not be a huge area of profit for them, but it shows that you still value their company and high level of service and they will profit some from you . . . on their side, they may figure that you may be one of those folks who may eventually get tired of wood and return to burning only oil and so if they can keep you as a customer in the long run they may end up doing pretty well.

2) If your friends, family or co-workers ask, you can mention this company and mention how pleased you are with them. Advertising is great . . . word of mouth however in small communities with locally owned companies however is what often causes such a company to flourish or fail . . . and the one thing you cannot buy is word of mouth advertising and testimonials . . .

3) Write a letter. It may sound stupid, but I would almost guarantee you that you would make this owner's day by sending him a simple heart-felt letter thanking him for his past service, mentioning the high level of professionalism and that you intend to stick with this company . . . albeit on a smaller scale due to the fact you are now using the woodstove more often. Profits are great . . . sometimes just knowing that the work you are doing is sincerely appreciated by another person and is valued means a lot more.

All great ideas Jake-seriously guys, I'm not that broken up about it, I just was thinking about it in terms of these economic times especially. I wholeheartedly agree with logger about putting family first. Things are lean for us too and if not for the add-on we would have gotten smacked with a $500 or so oil bill rather than a $75 bill as fuel oil is hovering around $2.90 a gallon in these parts-definitely not what we need right now. I guess the moral of the story is, support small businesses when you can, but don't begrudge yourself for looking out for number one either.

While I would like to be a mom and pops customer, BIG OIL (sunoco) quoted me the best price when I went shopping. Unfortunately America doesn't have the tech investment in refining other countries do, so America has to buy mostly refined oil products and refine them further. Mom and pops shops buy this product at one price as a contract and hope the price goes up so they can play the margin. Unfortunately every place I called was quoting me about $2.45, and Sunoco was $2.39 for their teaser price. :

Of course, mom and pops are buying it from Sunoco anyway since they don't have a refinery.

tiber said:
While I would like to be a mom and pops customer, BIG OIL (sunoco) quoted me the best price when I went shopping. Unfortunately America doesn't have the tech investment in refining other countries do, so America has to buy mostly refined oil products and refine them further. Mom and pops shops buy this product at one price as a contract and hope the price goes up so they can play the margin. Unfortunately every place I called was quoting me about $2.45, and Sunoco was $2.39 for their teaser price. :

Of course, mom and pops are buying it from Sunoco anyway since they don't have a refinery.

+1
Its hard to even buy chainsaws and the like (as someone mentioned) in this economy from small bussinesses. As much as I'd like to help them out, the bottom line is that they usually dont have very competitive prices, at least near me. Most American families have taken a hit in the last few years and saving a few bucks goes a long way when money is tight.

Thats a great story. I recently had furnace in need of repair and called 4 repairmen and 3 weeks later had one show up. I'm 37 years old and I count myself lucky to had grown at the end of a great era when it was all mom and pop business in my town and neighbors helped each other out. Recently in a our local school a child was suspended for a plastic knife that was in her prepackaged lunch she brought to school. When I was in school I had my pocket knife taken from me 3 different times that i can remember and returned to me at the end of the day, We could bring our rifles with us if we were going hunting after school as long as we left them in the truck, and a fight was usually broken up by a teacher saying straighten you morons and get to class. Now you have the cops called on you for a plastic knife. I recently bought my chainsaw here locally and asked if they could price match it and he said no he couldn't compete with lowes. but he could get it out and tune it up and put me a full chisel chain on it. So I spent the extra $50 and bought it from him. When I went to pick it up a few days later he gave me a extra chain and filled out the warrenty card so if they ever needed to service the saw he could do so without a problem. I have been back a few times since to get a bail of straw or a hitch pin and he always asks how that saw id doin for me. Well worth the extra $50 and that money stays in my town instead of a corporate bank.

I had a LP delivery (small town outfit) a few weeks back and the driver told us to "keep up the good work" when he found we used only 36% of the propane used the same time last year.

I must mention that this is our first winter in the house and the previous owners kept the stat @ 78.

Should fire up the re-installed BKK this weekend...he might have a change of opinion on the next delivery. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.