1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Axe repair - epoxy

Post in 'The Gear' started by tsquini, Mar 25, 2014.

1. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    The head of my axe came off after 5 years of use. The fiberglass handle is good and the head is still in good only the epoxy holding it together separated. Has anyone successfully epoxied the head back on a axe before? I'm accepting all tips and procedure recommendation.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I have not, but after having the same issue many years ago, I did do a little reading on the subject. It will work for some time, but will eventually fail. The repeated abuse causes any epoxy to eventually crack and fail in the eye.

Is the eye a standard shape, which will accept a wooden handle? A wood handle is far nicer on your arms and hands, and fitting one to an axe or maul is a pretty quick and simple job, once you know how. Plenty of videos (both right and wrong) can be found on YouTube, demonstrating the technique.
  3. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    Yes, I can use a wood handle if I need to. The fiberglass handle is still is good shape.
  4. Fifelaker

Fifelaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Mi
    Yes you can reapply epoxy. I have done 2 of mine and I need to do my 8# maul.
  5. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    What kind of epoxy did you use?
  6. Fifelaker

Fifelaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Mi
    Local hardware store had some made for this repair. I do not recall a brand name but it was by the maul and axe display. For my 3# hand sledge I had some JB weld laying around and it has held for almost a year now. I did clean everything up pretty well with sand paper before gluing it.
    tsquini likes this.
  7. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western WIsconsin
    About 15 years ago I re-epoxied a fiberglass handled 8# splitting maul. It was used as the primary splitting maul until 2 years ago when I started using X27's. The epoxy has cracked but the head is still tight. I think it was Devcon 5 minute epoxy.

It the grey one on the right.

[​IMG]
    splitoak and tsquini like this.