Back in the land of Tesla and Edison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Winter is starting with a vengeance here. Setting new records for November, 13 degrees in Seattle this am. Normal would be around 39. We lost power early Tues. morning. But fortunately I had a good fire going and we managed to stay warm in spite of the dropping temps. My wife will never question getting a big stove again. The Alderlea has been a real champ and gotten quite a workout these past few days. I've learned a lot about this stove and it continues to impress me. Power came on around 3am today, but the stove will continue doing full time duty.

The past week I have had virtually every type of fire, from moderate to full blown candle melters. As the temps dropped, I ran our first of the season, stuffed to the gills, load of fir and alder. This wood is pretty dry as it was left over from the previous season. The fire grew quite strong, with an 850 °F stack and same temp stovetop before I turned the fan on. Once the blower was on, she settled down to 600 stack, 700 stovetop. That was a little exciting and certainly burned the dust off. Then, with the cold coming on, I brought out the hardwood. That is such a different experience from softwood burning. The first thing one notices is how much more air the fire needs to get going. Normally with a load of doug fir I can just about close off the air within 15-20 minutes. But with the cherry/locust blend I need to have the air control half open for at least 30-40 minutes before I can start closing it down and even then I would need to keep it open a bit more that for softwood. Stove temps differed too and that was a surprise. The hardwood fire would often run a bit cooler than my softwood fires. I could fill the beast up with hardwood and the stovetop will usually run about 600F blower off. If this was softwood, it would be 700+F. Softwood also produces less coals, so once it's done, it's pretty much over. Not so with hardwood, which produced some tremendous bellyfuls of hot coals that would take hours to burn down. This meant less heat, which when it's 20 outside is not what you want. But with some careful management and sometimes adding a stick on top, I could keep the heat coming.

I learned to use these characteristics to my advantage. For a quick temp rise after a coal burn down period I would to a softwood fire. That would give me a strong shot of heat, living room temp about 72 and not a lot of coals, so I could refuel faster. Then I'd follow that with a hardwood fire which would go for many hours at a more steady pace. This became my routine. Softwood first thing in the morning, to push up temps, then hardwood fires for the rest of the day. I also got a lot of practice with coals management. With softwood, you just want to burn the coals down quickly, because the heat output is less than with hardwood at that point. But with hardwood, the coals build up more and linger around for hours. This is not a bad thing, especially for overnight burns, but it requires more frequent adjustments of the coal bed and air control to maximize steady heat output. I should have kept closer track of stove and flue temps, but quite frankly the stove and I were in a groove and I went more by eye than anything. Lighting was dim unless I had the generator going and I was more concerned about heating so I went more by body temp. The stove has kept the core of the house warm, 68-72, though the outer rooms are running 5 degrees cooler with these cold temps.

The little Jotul has been getting a workout too. I've managed to keep the greenhouse above freezing with it. It'll take the greenhouse from 35 to 50 in about 30 minutes. Fires are short, but I don't mind the wider range of temps in there. As soon as the sun hits the greenhouse (which is not much at this time of year) it takes care of itself. Got up to 71 in there yesterday in spite of the cold 24F outside temps.

End of post for now. Have a good turkey day all and cherish the company of the ones you love.

BeGreen, perhaps this is a sign of what type of winter you will be having. So maybe winter will be out there this year and in our area less so. Here in central MI we have yet to see snow on the ground and I've seen only a very few snowflakes. Unusual for sure but I've seen years like this in the past. So far it acts like it might be one of those years when we don't even have a white Christmas and it has been a long time since we've had that happen. Time will tell.

Glad you are keeping warm. Keep the snow shovel handy.

Hah! We've been out here for 36 years without a snow shovel! I hear you though, bought one last week. And it has already been useful.

I live in the hills above BG and it has been a unique little storm. It snowed all day for two days but the steady winds prevented accumulations and instead gave us drifts. We did not loose power for more than a few hours but I have family that lives on the puget sound that have been without since Monday and should get it back by midnight tonight. Those guys get to deal with temps in the teens and the ones with wood heat are the envy of the neighborhood. I have one BIL that was enjoying a 42 degree kitchen on Tuesday morning. Their fridges are melting, they're freezing to death. No generators and no wood heat is bad news when cities are out of power with temps in the teens. Should be an interesting thanksgiving. Plumbers will be busy.

We saw 7 degrees last night, 78 inside the house. We have a generator, lots of wood, four wheel drive vehicles with chains, and plenty of homebrew. I'm going to work every day though some coworkers aren't getting home until 1AM afterleaving at 5.

It will be over soon and just a memory. I do enjoy the extremes though. The winds gave me my first chance to burn snow covered wood. Also a chance to see the benefits of prewarming the next load by the stove.

Make sure you don't lose that thing. lol

EDIT: My response was to BeGreen. Highbeam must type faster than I do. He also needs a shovel for his drifts.

Highbeam said:
...and plenty of homebrew.

Whew! I was starting to get concerned, but now I see you will be OK!

Backwoods Savage said:
Make sure you don't lose that thing. lol

EDIT: My response was to BeGreen. Highbeam must type faster than I do. He also needs a shovel for his drifts.

Yep, I got the drift... Good advice, Lord knows where I'll put this thing over the summer.

Snow shovels are great for moving wood shavings for the animals or bark dust for the landscaping. Any bulky lightweight material. Also good for smashing those mice that you catch in your garage.

Funny you should mention that. I did use it to dispossess a couple mice that I found camped out in the generator box.

Highbeam said:
Snow shovels are great for moving wood shavings for the animals or bark dust for the landscaping. Any bulky lightweight material. Also good for smashing those mice that you catch in your garage.

You got the shavings part right. We've a few ponies that get their stalls cleaned out with one, as opposed to a muck rake. Makes great compost, however ;-)

Hang tight, BG. I hope you have a milder winter than we did last year.

Nice read BG, thanks. Some good thoughts on coals and softwood as well. My plan so far this year was to burn pine only till I ran out, and then start on the oak. Now I am thinking I will save some pine for getting the stove hot in the morning and to help deal with excess coals on those few brutaly cold nights we get every winter.

I've been listening to reports of some rough weather "over there". Soon enough it will head this way. I instantly thought of the "left coasters" and knew instinctively that they'd "land on their feet". It's a practical and resourceful bunch here. :)

Very interesting report on the Alderlea's performance with softwood and hardwood, BeGreen. We don't burn softwoods here and I found your analysis of the burn comparison very informative. I've been over ruled on the softwood front over the years but have never pushed the issue, either. I think I will as I now clearly see the benefit of having softwood in the "arsenal" and we have plenty of it here. Note to self: research seasoning of softwoods; White pine in particular. I hope the wife is fully on board with the fire keeping duties, too?

The other thing I've been over ruled on is a generator of some sort. I think having one is very practical; running one all the time seems wasteful to me but there is nothing like a shower or the ability to "pump up the refrigerator" periodically to make prolonged outtages more comfortable. And I must say, having a couple of Aladdin oil lamps has made lighting our home easier, too. Safer than candles, they provide a lot of light (about = to a 60 watt bulb) and make reading considerably easier. I trust you have a couple in your "emergency kit"? if not, you ought to treat yourselves. We often use our's to light the deck on a summer night or "just because".

Starting to be a bit of a trend here in the PNW, hunh? Might have to up the amount of seasoned wood I keep on hand.

I agree on soft vs. hardwood. I keep a stack of harder wood like Oak or Dogwood aside for overnight burns. I don't usually do overnight burns, but when I do I want coals in the morning. During the day, I'd choose Doug Fir over most anything for ease of use, heat, length of burn, and the fact, as you noted, that you don't have to wait an extra hour at a low temp for the coals to burn away. This year I'm mostly burning Cherry and Douglas, which mixes well.

IMHO you dont need a soft wood for starting fires, small splits of lessor hard woods work well, silver maple, elm, and green ash can get my fire up to speed in a hurry from a cold start and do not leave too many coals, more coals than the soft wood but not too bad. I do wish I had some decent soft wood to try.

Hey Green, with a little bit of unusual mother nature happening out your way doesn't it feel good to know things are well under control despite the curve balls she can throw at you. I can attest to your wifes feelings as far as having the stove is concerned, mine is the same way, she knows this thing is a lifesaver when 'out of the ordinary' happens.

I have caught a bit of the news and have seen snow and cold in places that normally do not ever see the white stuff.

Enjoy to heat

Definitely. The PE is so easy to start that I don't worry much about it. Having a lot of dry fir on hand makes it child's play and when burning hard, 24/7 there are no relights, just keep stoking the beast. I do have a hefty ash bed that is going to need to be cleaned out this weekend as a result. I definitely like the greater range of control I get with having a range of fuel available. Normally we don't have the luxury of hardwood, but I keep my eye out for it.

Bobbin, my wife is pretty good at keeping the fires going too. She is a bit more cautious so her fires are smaller, but she does a great job with the last nighttime stoking. She's a nightowl and I am an early riser, so this works out well for fire tending. A generator is pretty handy if your power goes out more than once a year for more than 6 hrs at a time. However, during outages, hot showers don't happen. It takes too much power and fuel to run a house with a big unit. We can be out for a week which would suck up a lot of fuel. In the past 6 or so years we have been getting more serious outages with stronger storms that are taking out the high-tension infrastructure which takes longer to repair. So we just run the necessities, mostly refrigeration and night lighting to make a meal. You hope it's only going to be for a day, but have to be prepared for it lasting awhile. If it we have a bad earthquake, perhaps a few weeks. We have emergency water supplies, food stores, an Aladdin lamp, propane Coleman lantern, oil lamps, numerous LED lamps, and great emergency oil lamps - Lamplight liquid candles (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/decor/accessories/lamplight/emergency-oil-candle-pack-of-4-9886.html)

I wasn't thinking a hot shower, more along the lines of quickie "Navy shower" to keep the creases clean, using hot water from the tank.

In recent years our experience with outtages mirrors your's. Bigger, more destruction, and longer "black outs".

That's what the pot on the stove is for :). We had water pots, tea kettle and a tea pot on one trivet, swung out so that it kept just at the right temp. We also have a gas cooktop which makes life a lot more civilized when the power goes out. Just don't get distracted! My wife turned on a burner yesterday, forgetting there was no power as she got distracted by your's truly. I came back to the kitchen and smelled gas! She forgot no electric ignition without power. Gotta watch this stuff.

Yeah, we keep a pot of water hot atop the Fireview, too; no swing out trivet, however (nice feature). And we also have the stovetop convenience. But it's the smooth, seamless overhead delivery of the water that really "makes" it a shower. The PTA thing definitely gets the job done, but being able to run the well pump would be really nice!

Yeah, if you have a pump or a septic system that needs power then you need more moxie to start those motors.

Yes, the generator is nice when you have a water pump. I'll run the generator for a while so we can shower and get water for other things. Then I'll also plug in the freezers and refrigerator off and on. We just need to make sure we have extra gas on hand to run the generator.

Bobbin, we take showers without running the water all the time. Get wet, soap, then turn water on to rinse. Saves a lot of hot water that way.

Oldspark, you should have a bunch of cottonwood around your area. Get it dry and it makes excellent kindling.

my little insert has been running 24/7 for the last 4 days, schools were closed so my oldest son kept it going while I was at work keeping the house in the low 70's, I usually keep it a little higher but with the temps in the low teens at night and 20's during the day my insert wont keep up as much as i would like, but hey at least we are warm, every once in a while i turn on the NG furnace just to help get some heat upstairs

Snowing again this morning, but at least we warmed up to 30 degrees, calling for rain this afternoon and temps in the 40's. we are going from one extreme to the other

This is a real nice thread, BG. It demonstrates that even burners with lots of experience and knowledge still need to think on their feet and make adjustments. Nice insight into what you did and why you did it. There is a lot more general knowledge being offered here than initially meets the eye... which I suspect may have been the intention. ;-)

BeGreen said:
Hah! We've been out here for 36 years without a snow shovel! I hear you though, bought one last week. And it has already been useful.

Last night I was ordering some stuff from Bob King, a well-known chainsaw sculptor based out of Seattle. I told him about your shovel comment and he laughed. He said he actually owns three snow shovels, but until this week he had only ever used them for picking up chainsaw chips from around the carving area.

Status
Not open for further replies.