back plate jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotulburner

Sep 9, 2010
maine
Just giving the stove a good cleaning and getting ready to re instal it on new hearth. I noticed back burn plate Jotul 3 TD IC 2 is bent a little. Warped Do you think it is something I should replace right away. I think it has been this way for sometime and burned fine last year. The plate just doesnt sit flush against the mixing grate at the back of the stove.
I am getting excited looking at the long row of seasoned white oak that I just moved up to my wood pile from the woods where it has been sitting the last year. I like the cold weather and cant wait to start burning.

Don't really know the answer to this one . . . I would guess it would be OK . . . but bumping this to the top so others who might give a valid opinion can give a fellow Maniac some advice.

Answered in another thread. Baffle is also warped. The old stove looks to be heading toward a rebuild.

I am in the middle of rebuild now waiting for baffle from jotul. gaskets are done. Rear plate replaced I cant wait for it to get cold I have a long line of Oak that has seasoned 2 years now and should burn fine.

Good to hear you are breathing new life into the stove. Hope there are pictures of the progress.

Rebuild is in progress. Old back burn plate out. New back burn plate in. Awaiting top baffle from Jotul.

Attachments

• burnplate11.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 550
  • burnplate8.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 525
  • burnplate10.bmp
    100.1 KB · Views: 496
thats an old school #3.

very nice, I got an oldskool Jotul #8 in my basement, 1st generation pre-catalyst with the rotary air control. there's just a certain charm in knowing that Jotul tried hard to implement secondary burning in those old stoves (secondary air comes under the bottom ash plate, up through gaps between the side/rear burn plates and the exterior iron castings and into the upper firebox). Mine can even burn coal if you get the grate kit (woodmanspartsplus.com claims to have it, but, the measurements they show don't sound right to me). What amazes me also is how easy it is to disassemble the stove, the top cover lifts right off (has stove gasket to seal it up, which I replaced on mine last month) and everything lifts right out. I replaced the stove gasket for my top plate and the door and removed all steel burn plates and vacuumed/scrubbed out the ashes from behind the burn plates so I'm hoping the #8 burns a lot better this winter. The plates don't appear warped in my stove but the upper baffle is speckled white even after scraping it with a wire brush. Should have more reliable secondary air and less draft being forced through the primary air.

Sounds like the rebuild is coming along!

Status
Not open for further replies.