Back-puffing in a Resolute Acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RAC

Oct 25, 2018
Vermont
I have been burning my Resolute Acclaim for 12 years old with a one year old replacement secondary combustion chamber. I thought the replacement chamber would eliminate my back-puffing but it has not.
My wood is at least 1 year old and under cover for at least 6 months. My chimney is masonry, cleaned annually [even though my cleaner claims it could go 2-3 years]. The stove has an outside air supply that vents immediately below the stove. I routinely clean the ash pit and the circular holes in the secondary combustion chamber. I can eliminate the back-puffing by burning the newly charged wood up to 500 degrees, closing the damper and leaving the bottom vent open in the high [not the start up] position. The problem is the stove runs out i.e...the coals diminish, and the stove temp. drops below 300 degrees in 4-5 hours as opposed to 7-8 hours if I adjust the vent much further to the closed position. The other concerns are that with this back-puffing elimination strategy the room gets too warm at times and the stove is cold in the morning, i.e. no coals left to restart the stove.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: